Yesterday I baked my usual weekend cake. I kind of got in the habit of baking a cake every week or so that we then eat for breakfast or as a snack during the week. This time I baked an honey and walnut cake which turned out quite awesome. It is not as light as the carrot cake I published last week, but still there are almost no fats, and I used whole wheat flour and brown sugar!
- 7 oz. whole wheat flour
- 3 oz. brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 5 spoons honey
- 2 oz. walnuts + some for decorating
- 1 spoon baking powder
- 1 spoon thyme
- 1 spoon olive oil
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup of your favorite sweet wine or liquor
- butter for greasing the pan
- First, in my food processor I mixed up the flour with the sugar, the baking powder, the thyme and the nuts, then I added in a pinch of salt, the honey, a spoon of olive oil and the eggs and finally I added enough sweet wine to make the batter smooth and fluid but not liquid. I used passito, but sherry could also work and so would brandy, grappa and other similar liquors. I greased a cake pan and poured in the batter. I decorated the cake with some nuts and backed it in a 389F oven for about 40 minutes.
- By the time it was ready it smelled awesome!