Rhubarb and banana jam

Eons ago when I was hosted by a very nice German family and for breakfast I used to eat this awesome rhubarb and banana jam that I loved. I don’t remember the taste anymore because, as I said, it was eons ago ca. 1998, I only remember I loved it.
Rhubarb is not a very popular ingredient in Italy and my mom hates it anyway, so no more rhubarb jam for me  after I got back from Germany. But in the US rhubarb is much more common. And just yesterday I saw 2 or 3 recipes using rhubarb. So I decided to go on line and look for a recipe.

After a bit of scouting I discovered that the recipe is actually really easy and that I had to make a decision on the quantity of sugar I wanted in my jam and whether I wanted to precook the rhubarb or not. I drew on my general jam knowledge and decided not to precook the rhubarb and to use a ratio of 1:2 sugar to rhubarb.

Rhubarb and banana jam

Total Time: 6 hours

Yield: 3 small jars

Rhubarb and banana jam

• 1lb rhubarb cleaned
  • 1/2lb sugar
  • 1 banana

1. First I cleaned and cut the rhubarb in slices. Then I weighted the rhubarb and put it in a bowl. I added half the weight of the rhubarb in sugar (in my case it was 1lb rhubarb and 1/2 lb sugar) to the bowl and mixed it to the rhubarb. I let the rhubarb macerate with the sugar for about 4-5 hours (you can also do it overnight) and then I transfered everything to a pot.
  2. I cooked the rhubarb and the sugar for about 20 minutes and when the rhubarb started falling apart, I added 1 sliced banana. I let cook for another couple of minutes and then transfered to my vases. My 1lb rhubarb, filled about 3 8oz.
  3. I did not sterilize the vases afterwards, as I believe I will be eating the jam relatively soon and there should be enough sugar in to preserve the jam for a reasonably long time.
  4. I tried the jam and it is great! Not sure it is like the one I ate in Germany, because as I said I don't remember how it tasted like, but it is good! I think it will be actually eaten fast!

This entry was posted in Dessert, Jam and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Rhubarb and banana jam

1. Food Frenzy says:

Congratulations! We wanted to inform you that this post has been selected as a Featured Archive Post on our site for the month of September 2013!

2. Pingback: Rhubarb And Banana Jam « Food Frenzy

3. Okay, so you got me back – now I’m running to the store! :) This is so unique and wonderful sounding – I make a lot of jam but never with banana!

4. This sounds wonderful! I have never had banana and rhubarb paired together but it sounds delicious! I need to try this combo!

5. Daniela says:

E’ deliziosa questa marmellata, una grande idea. Un abbraccio Daniela.

6. Adoro le marmellate fatte in casa e la tua è davvero particolare, bravissima!
    Un abbraccio!

7. Dara says:

I have never made jam before. You make it look so simple and tasty! I love rhubarb, but don’t have many recipe ideas. This is great.

8. Pingback: Cleaning rhubarb | Iworkathomegol

9. Pingback: Rhubarb And Banana Jam « Food Frenzy

10. Katherine says:

Oh Yum! I love rhubarb but have never had it in combination with banana! Still waiting for it to come into season in Israel… Great choice for YBR.

11. Nami @ Just One Cookbook says:

I have never had rhubarb but since everyone is talking about it, I'm very very curious!

12. Spicie Foodie says:

I've never heard of this jam before, thanks for the introduction. It sounds like a great jam flavor to try. Thanks for participating in this month’s YBR :)

13. All That's Left Are The Crumbs says:

I would never have thought of this combination but it bet it tastes great. I am another who keeps collecting recipes to try rhubarb but keeps forgetting a the market.

14. Sandra says:

What a lovely recipe, I keep writing that I need to try rhubarb and never do! This is really good!!

15. Angie's Recipes says:

A great rhubarb jam recipe! I like that you added banana in it.

16. Pola says:

@ Manu: cleaning rhubarb is like cleaning celery except you don't want any of the leaves. The flavor is very bitter until you add the sugar, then flavor is more aromatic with a bit of acidity and not so much bitter anymore.

I have never eaten rhubarb… I have never even seen it in Italy. Now I see it often at the shops, but I never know what to make with it… I don't even know how to "clean" it!!! This recipe though sounds delicious!

18. Diethood.com says:

This sounds yummy, and I get to add the recipe to my other rhubarb recipes! Thank you, Pola!!