Grilled fish

This is almost a non recipe as it is extremely easy: take a fish, marinate it and grill it. I like it though because it is simple and it offers something different than meat to grill at your numerous summer barbecue. Sometimes with all the summer grilling I go into a meat overload, so having something different to grill is a welcome addition!

Fish is so much healthier and lighter than meat, and grilled fish has basically no sauce, so it is great even for those who are trying to shed those extra pounds before wearing their swimsuits. And all you have to do is let the swim swim in lemon, oil and herbs for a short time before throwing it on the grill. Perfect for when you want to invite friends and don’t want spend your day in front of the stove!

Grilled fish

Grilled fish

• 1 whole fish (trout, sea bass, red snapper... )
  • 1/4 cup EVOO
  • herbs (rosemary, chive, sage...)
  • 1 lemon

1. Take the fish and clean out the interiors. Score the fish on both sides with 3 or 4 cuts and rinse it quickly under cold water. You can use whatever fish you prefer as long as it fits on your grill. Fatty fish tend to turn out slightly better.
  2. Place the fish in a dish or in a container.
  3. Prepare the marinade by mixing the juice of the lemon, the oil, your favorite herbs and a bit of salt.
  4. Pour the marinade over the fish and inside the abdominal cavity.
  5. Let the fish rest in the marinade for about 30 minutes. Turn the fish around a couple of times to coat the whole fish in the marinade.
  6. Grill the fish on medium heat for about 10-20 minutes per side, depending on the size of the fish. Using a fish basket makes it easy to turn the fish around, and wrapping aluminum foil around the tail of the fish halps it not to burn.
  7. You can pour or brush the marinade over the fish during grilling. Remember that oil will cause the flames to rise, so be careful not to pour too much at the same time.
  8. You can enjoy the fish with just a few drops of lemon juice or with a bit of mayo. If you have leftovers, they are great eaten cold with a simple salad.

This entry was posted in Entrée, Seafood and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Grilled fish

1. Nami @ Just One Cookbook says:

Thanks for letting me know. I never seen one before, but maybe because I wasn't paying attention! Thank you!!

2. Pola says:

@Nami: I got the fish basket at a regular supermarket, I suspect you can find it at any kitchen store that sells stuff for grilling….

3. Nami @ Just One Cookbook says:

I love grilled fish! This looks delicious! Where did you get the fish wire(?) thing? I'd love to buy one!!

4. Tina @flourtrader says:

Grilled trout is one of my favorites but I rarely get to eat it. I would be real surprised if there were any leftovers here. Simply delicious.

5. Kate@Diethood says:

The fish looks incredible in that last photo!!
    I love a grilled trout… then I just add a bit of lemon juice and dig in!

6. Pola says:

@ Frank: I put no oil anywhere. I took the fish out of the marinade, put it in the fish basket and put it on the un-oiled grill. I had a bit of sticking on the first side, but then the second side worked perfect. I think it works like with meat, when the fish is cooked enough the skin comes off the grill cleanly.

I love fish grilled this way! Just about any fish tastes great made this way. But I always seem to have an issue with the skin (which I love) sticking to the basket and/or grill. Need more oil, I suppose?

8. Erin says:

I am not a fan of fish – but my Dad would absolutely love this. I am going to have to send this to my Mom, so she can make it for him!

9. Sandra says:

Ohh this looks amazing Pola..I love grilled fish, nothing better than rainbow trout that was just cached..I need to sent my hubby again on fishing weekend :)))) I need a break and also a fish, I got cravings just by looking at your photos hahaha
    Have a great week!!!!:)