Risotto with zucchini flowers

I planted zucchini in a container on my patio, and while the zucchini have not yet appeared I have plenty of  zucchini flowers. So I am playing with them. I think in the next couple of weeks I might be publishing more than 1 zucchini flower recipe…. Anyway, here is a risotto with saffron and zucchini flowers.

Risotto with zucchini flowers

• 3-4 oz. arborio rice per person
  • 2-3 zucchini flowers per person
  • grated cotija cheese
  • about 1 cup broth (also from bullion cube) per person
  • saffron
  • 3-4 anchovies
  • 1 small onion
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine
  • EVOO

1. Start by warming up the broth in a pot and some oil in a large pan (a wok also works great). I usually use beef broth, because I think it gives the risotto the best flavor, but you can use your favorite broth. If you use saffron stigmas you can add them in the broth, if you are using powder, add it directly to the rice halfway through cooking.
  2. Add the anchovies and the diced onion to the oil and let the onion soften and the anchovies melt down.
  3. When the onion are soft and the anchovies are melted add in the rice and let it toast until it becomes translucent. At this point, add the white wine and let it evaporate.
  4. When the wine is evaporated, start adding the broth. Keep adding the broth ladle by ladle waiting for the broth to evaporate before adding the next ladle. It should take about 20 minutes from when you start adding broth to cook the rice properly.
  5. When the rice is half-way cooked (about 10 minutes into the adding broth phase) add the zucchini flowers. This is also the point where you add saffron if you are using the powder version.
  6. When the rice is ready add the grated cotija cheese and mix. If you cannot find cotija, use another salty cheese such as parmesan or pecorino.
  7. Let the rice stand for a couple of minutes before serving, to allow the cheese to melt.

This entry was posted in Primi, Risotto and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Risotto with zucchini flowers

1. Sandra says:

This is so good Pola..risotto, zucchini flower and all the fantastic herbs..yummy for sure! Will have to try this soon..I loveeee risotto!

2. Tiffany says:

YUM! Zucchini flowers are so pretty! 😀

3. Juanita says:

Zucchini flowers…I've never actually tasted one! In fact, I've only ever seen them in movies. But I do love risotto 🙂

4. Biren @ Roti n Rice says:

What a great idea to plant zucchinis to get their flowers as it they are hard to come by where I live. Your risotto looks very creamy and delicious!

Fantastic recipe! I adore "fiori di zucca" and I am lucky enough to find them here… it's amazing that you are growing them on your balcony, they must be even more tasty… e vuoi mettere la soddisfazione???? 🙂

6. Brittany @ Pretty Fit, Pretty Healthy, Pretty Happy says:

Oh my gosh.. this looks incredible! I love risotto, so I can wait to try this out. 🙂

7. Erin says:

I have never had zucchini flowers before. What a great way to use them. I am getting flowers on my plant now, maybe I need to experiment!

This look lovely! I love zucchini blossoms, stuffed and fried, on pizza… but I haven't tried them in risotto. Will definitely have to try it!

9. Parsley Sage says:

Very cool. Never had zucchini flowers before but well done for your experimenting 🙂 Buzzed

10. Nami @ Just One Cookbook says:

I never had Zucchini flowers but I'm sure it has nice taste to them. I always like adding anchovies. Looks delicious Pola! Oh and thanks for responding to my comment in your previous post. I'm so happy I'm learning more about REAL Italian recipes/food/ingredients!!

11. Paolo says:

Zucchini flowers! Can't find them here and my balcony definitely can't produce zucchini… Your risotto looks delicious and I really like the presentation of your dish.

Comments are closed.