Yogurt panna cotta (no cream in this recipe!!)

The other day I decided to make panna cotta but I wanted to make it without using any cream (which is king of , given that the name means cooked cream). Anyway I decided to go with yogurt and after a search on line I saw it was doable, you just have to use greek yogurt and milk.

Now I don’t think this makes it a no calorie dessert, but for sure is better than using cream and in any case it does taste super light and summery!

Today I am going to San Francisco for the weekend. Will be back home by Monday….

Yogurt panna cotta (no cream in this recipe!!)

Total Time: 2 hours, 30 minutes

Yogurt panna cotta (no cream in this recipe!!)

• 1 cup greek yogurt
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 packet gelatin
  • 2-4 tbs sugar
  • vanilla extract

1. First soak the gelatin in cold water. In the mean time warm your milk. When the milk is starting boiling add the sugar, the vanilla extract and the gelatin and mix well.
  2. Add the yogurt to the milk and again mix well to combine.
  3. Using a strainer, pour the mixture in 4 small bowls or cups or 3 larger ones. The strainer will allow you to get rid of any undissolved gelatin lump.
  4. Place in the fridge and let solidify for a couple of hours. Decorate using your favorite fruit, jam, jelly, preserve or sauce and serve.

This entry was posted in Dessert, Vegetarian. Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Yogurt panna cotta (no cream in this recipe!!)

1. Pingback: Zucchini Parmesan | An Italian cooking in the Midwest

2. Shafna Ashmi says:

Tried this recipe. Felt a sour taste. Is there any tips to improve taste?

3. Em says:

This looks awesome! :)) I was looking for panna cotta recipes without cream. Does it taste as smooth and fluffy though? …

It does taste smooth and tasty. It has a bit more tartness than regular pannacotta, which I like. Pay attention to add the hot milk and gelatin to the yogurt when the mixture has cooled down to almost room temperature, otherwise the yogurt might separate.

4. This is such a brilliant idea for a healthier version of panna cotta! I immediately marked it down when I received your blog as my SRC assignment. I love yogurt and I am not eating enough of it. So this was just perfect. Thank you for this wonderful recipe! You have a lovely blog!

5. Amy says:

Is it possible to substitute buttermilk for the milk? I wanted to make a buttermilk panna cotta but realized I was out of heavy cream!

6. Jackie says:

I tried to make this twice last night, both times the yogurt/milk curdled. My milk wasn’t that hot when I added the yogurt either.So I don’t know…

I’m sorry to hear! I assure you mine worked great the first time around.

A couple of suggestions that might help. Heat the milk slowly and patiently and turn it off as soon as it reaches the boiling point. Choose a velvety and not too acidic yogurt and mix in the yogurt a bit at a time. I worked with a very velvety, sweet variety (Greek god) and that has helped for sure, if the yogurt is too acidic it might curdle the milk and if it is grainy to start with, it’s going to stay grainy…

Finally, I strained the whole thing trough a fine mesh, to get rid of any possible lumps or curdles, for me there were barely any, but that can help with the curdles too.

7. mjskit says:

What a great idea! I'm definitely going to have to give this a try.

8. Amee says:

I love this!!! Thank you so much for sharing! I am going to make this this week. I love when I see a great recipe and have all the ingredients! :)

9. Christine's Pantry says:

Greek yogurt rocks! Love your recipe!

10. The Farmers Wife says:

That's so awesome! I love that you lightened it, I've never seen it done this way but I'm so glad you did!

I love panna cotta, so this is going straight to my MUST TRY list, especially since it is so low on calories!!!

12. Kelly @ Eat Yourself Skinny says:

This looks fantastic!! What a great healthy treat!! :)

13. Nuts about food says:

What a great and healthy version!

14. Nami @ Just One Cookbook says:

I hope you had a wonderful stay in SF and had a safe trip home. I was in Carmel this weekend and the weather was so nice. I heard that the city was very cloudy and cold. Usually it's opposite… I love your no-cream panna cotta! Very healthy and I can eat more than one. Hehee :-)

15. Emily @ Life on Food says:

Great easy recipe. I am going to try it out this week. Hope you have fun in San Fran.

16. Sandra says:

ohhh I almost forgot have a wonderful trip!:)

17. Sandra says:

Greek yogurt is really fantastic..I just love the thickness…and your panna cotta sound perfect, and healthy!

18. Tiffany says:

What a fantastic way to use Greek yogurt!

19. janet@cupcakestocaviar says:

Awesome idea for making Panna Cotta a little less unhealthy! Will be trying this and definitely buzzed it :-)

20. Erin says:

What a great idea – no cream!

21. Kate@Diethood says:

OH I love your version!! Never thought of using yogurt instead of cream…brilliant!

22. tasteofbeirut says:

I cook with yogurt all the time and this would be the way to do it for me. Thanks for a great recipe.

23. Kim Bee says:

Twitter follower and now a blog follower. This looks really good.