Tandoori chicken salad

How to add a bit of flavor and fun to a simple chicken salad? Add a bit of spices!

The other day I did just that and made a salad using diced chicken, mixed greens and tandoori paste. It turned out great! The chicken was spicy and certainly not boring and the salad was the perfect complement to a strong main character.

Also I mixed up 2 kinds of curry paste and added a bit of yogurt which created the perfect degree of spiciness and a very smooth finish to the spiciness.

Tandoori chicken salad

Total Time: 12 hours

Tandoori chicken salad

• 1 chicken breast per person
  • 2 tbsp curry or tandoori paste (I used a mix of patak's curry paste and tandoori marinade)
  • 1 tbsp plain yogurt
  • onion
  • mixed greens

1. I started out by dicing the chicken. In a bowl I mixed the curry paste and the yogurt and then added the diced chicken. I mixed everything well so that the chicken was uniformly covered in the marinade, put a lid on the bowl and placed in the fridge overnight.
  2. The next day, I skewered the chicken adding 2-3 pieces of onion per skewer and placed the skewers in an oven dish with some of the marinade.
  3. I cooked the chicken in the oven for about 40 minutes at 370F. I took the chicken out and served over my mixed greens dressed with oil and balsamic vinegar.

This entry was posted in Chicken and Rabbit, Entrée, Salad and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Tandoori chicken salad

1. Savannah McQueen says:

This looks so delicious. I am hosting a chicken recipe blog hop and it would be wonderful if you could include this recipe. Here is the link, in case you are interested. http://www.savannahssavorybites.com/2011/08/baked-chicken-with-fried-potatoes-and.html

2. [email protected] says:

I just pulled this up and this is sooooo what I need right now. I love chicken salads, but I need to add some of that goodness that you have up there to give it a different kick!

3. Nicole says:

I love chicken salad and use curry powder in mine too, along with chopped apple and celery. Yours sounds very flavorful!

4. PolaM says:

@ Fiona: to be perfectly honest I had marinated the chicken for grilling it on barbecue, but then had so much left that I had to cook it and use it somewhere else…. And chicken salad came to mind!

Boyfriend used some of the other leftovers for a Jambalaya style risotto…. Came out beautifully too, but we didn't take pictures 🙁

5. Nuts about food says:

Love that you marinated and then cooked the chicken for the salad rather than just using cold cooked chicken in a yogurt/spice sauce for the salad. I'm sure the flavors were amazing.

Very good idea Paola! We love spices and curries around here (;-P) so I think this recipe will be a winner in my house! Well done! 🙂

7. Nami | Just One Cookbook says:

I never thought of putting tandoori chicken on salad. That's actually a great idea as chicken has so much flavors! Looks delicious Paola!

8. My Home Diary in Turkey says:

it looks scrumptious Pola.. like it! 🙂

9. Geoff says:

I do love curry

10. Sandra says:

Wow..your salad sound incredible! I love the way you made it!!!