Stuffed squash

And here I am, back to posting. I am quite busy catching up with work and other things after my trip and I am not quite caught up with the blogsphere yet. I think it will take me a couple of week to be back to full capacity, but I will try to at least post regularly from now on.

Anyway, my wonderful BF come back home the other day with bags full of vegetables and here is a good way of putting some of those vegetables to good use. I used zucchini and summer squash and was really surprised by how sweet the squash was. Buying at the farmer’s market really has its perks!

Stuffed squash

Stuffed squash

• 4 yellow squash
  • 2 zucchini
  • 4 anchovies
  • 8 sundried tomatoes
  • basil
  • pepper

1. Start out by cutting the zucchini in half lengthwise and take out as much of the flesh as you can without tearing the squash. Salt the zucchini cups and put them in the oven to cook at 375F for about 15 minutes, or until almost cooked through.
  2. Meanwhile, melt the anchovies in a tiny bit of oil, add the sundried tomatoes and let them cook for a bit. Add in the flesh of the squash diced and the two zucchini (I used one yellow and one green) and cook until tender. Season with salt, pepper and basil.
  3. Place the zucchini mixture in the squash cups and put back in the oven for 10 minutes to warm up. Serve warm as a side or a light meal.
  4. You can keep this dish as light as I did by basically not adding any oil or cheese, or make it a bit more substantial by adding a bit of cheese and possibly also some ground meat. I'm on a diet for the next 6lbs or so, so no cheese or oil in my sides for the time being.

This entry was posted in Almost vegan, Almost vegetarian, Appetizer, Eggs, cheese and vegeterian, Entrée, Side Dish and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Stuffed squash

1. Nicole says:

you had me at Anchovies!!!! i'm so into squash right now too!

2. Magda says:

Nothing can beat stuffed vegetables! I love stuffed zucchini in particular because it tneds to hold its shape far better than tomatoes, peppers etc.
    Lovely dish!

3. Tiffany says:

What a great fall treat!

4. Sandra says:

Welcome back again:)) This is very tasty dish Pola, I love how you made it..perfect for this time if year too! Thanks for sharing, can't wait for next one:)

5. LAURA says:

Che buona ricetta di verdure!!! E bellissima la presentazione!!!
    Hai ragione tra le verdure acquistate direttamente dal contadino e quelle comprate al supermercato non c'è proprio paragone!!!
    Buon week end

6. Biren @ Roti n Rice says:

I like the addition of anchovies. It must give the squash a depth of flavor. looks really yummy too!

7. Giulietta @ Alterkitchen says:

I love stuffed vegetables, and these stuffed squashes look amazing! :)

Mmmmm yummmmm anything with sun dried tomatoes sounds delicious to me! And this is a great side dish! It also looks very pretty! :-)

9. Erin says:

What a great side of veggies, so much flavor!

10. duespaghetti.com says:

What a beautiful way to prepare fall vegetables. And I agree entirely about leaving out the cheese – diet or not!

Just shows you don't have to sacrifice flavor to eat light. (Not that I practice what I preach however… )

12. Yesim says:

It s yummy and healthy dish..

13. Nami | Just One Cookbook says:

I like this simple version better to taste the delicious vegetables instead of adding cheese or oil (sometimes it's nice tho). It's pretty side dish. I never stuff squash before and this gotta be a new recipe to try! p.s. It took me weeks to recover from my last vacation in July. It was tough… so good luck Paola. Hehee.