Cured salmon

Oops I did it again… I left the blog and you dear readers waiting for my post for about a week. I am sorry, it is really a crazy period at work and it is kind of sucking out the time/will to do anything other than book reading and TV when I am not working. Well actually I have been doing also quite a bit of cooking, but I am not faithfully reporting because I really don’t look forward to spend my free time in front of the computer…. If any of you readers as a way of publishing posts without getting in front of the screen, please let me know!

Anyway the other week I was feeling kind of Christmasy with the panettone and I wanted to try something new, so I cured salmon! And I discovered it is extremely easy to do and turns out pretty damn good. Apparently this cured salmon can be used as a base for smoked salmon, so if you have a smoker, instead of serving the fish like I did you could smoke it. I don’t have smoking equipment yet, so I limited myself to curing.

I have to say the result didn’t left me wanting!

And before moving to the recipe I want to thank Biren of Roti n Rice for honoring me with the Cherry on Top and the Versatile Blogger award!

Cured salmon

Cured salmon

• 1 lb salmon fillet
  • 1 lb salt
  • 1 lb sugar
  • 1 handful black pepper corn
  • dill or fennel or your favorite aromatic herb

1. Get a nice and clean salmon filet of about 1lb. Cut the fillet in half.
  2. Mix the salt, the sugar and the peppercorn and dish place 1/3 of the mixture in a deep dish to cover the bottom. Take the salmon and rub it with some of the mixture. Place one filet skin side down in the dish, cover the flesh with a tiny layer of the salt mixture and your aromatic herbs and cover with the second half of the fillet skin side up.
  3. Cover the  fillets with the remaining salt mixture.
  4. Place in the fridge for 1 to 3 days remembering to flip the fillets twice a day.
  5. When the curing time is up, clean out the salt using some paper towels and slice thinly. Serve with butter and pumpernickel bread.

This entry was posted in Appetizer, Award, Entrée, Seafood and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Cured salmon

1. Pingback: Fish appetizer plate | An Italian cooking in the Midwest

2. Pingback: Recipe swap: pumpernickel bread | An Italian cooking in the Midwest

3. Anonymous says:

Great! thanks for the share!

4. Nuts about food says:

Love this. I think I once saw Nigella doing something similar and thought to myself I would try. I never did. Now, thanks to you, I may.

I love salmon and I never knew it was so easy to cure. Thanks for this tip! (PS: I can totally identify with your dilemma. Blogging while holding down a day job is a real challenge…)

6. PolaM says:

@Nami | Just One Cookbook Can you believe is that easy?!?! I was surprised as well!

Yeah lots of discipline, which unfortunately is reserved for work these days…

7. Nami | Just One Cookbook says:

I never know how to cure salmon and I was really surprised how easy this is! I will remember this (actually bookmarked it – nowadays I don't remember anything!). "Maintaining" a blog requires so much effort and discipline. I gave up on all the TV shows for months, but now I started to watch some shows. I thought it's more balanced that way. We hang in there to keep up our blogs!

8. foodie @ Tasting Spot says:

i really like your food pictures and want to invite you to try out tastingspot.com. it's for anyone that just wants another place to submit photos and share it will other foodies. It’s still in beta version, but would love for you to start adding some photos and help get it going.

9. PolaM says:

@Giulietta | Alterkitchen I promise I'll publish the recipe for that too!

10. Giulietta | Alterkitchen says:

I would definitely love that salmon fillet, especially on that bread :)

11. PolaM says:

@Assunta Ebbene si, si fa in casa e molto facilmente… mi sa che ho trovato uno degli antipasti per Natale!

12. Assunta says:

Ma che brava! :)
    Non avrei mai immaginato si potesse fare in casa! :)

13. Jasmin Adili says:

Very simple and very delicious! Thnx for posting it!

cakesensation.blogspot.com