Eggplant and lentil patties

I decided that since I have been bad with updating for the past 2 months or so, this week I will be good and give you 3 recipes!

This recipe was inspired by Manu’s Menu eggplant patties. In my version though there are lentils in the patties. I had leftover lentils an I figured they would work well to make patties.

And they did! the result where super soft patties with a flavor profile close to that of Middle Eastern dishes (well of course that might be because I added Middle Eastern spices to it).

By the way, eggplants are a great substitute for meat and I served my patties with pita bread and tomato sauce. They made for a really nice dinner and they are much better than those vegetarian patties you buy frozen at the supermarket!

Eggplant and lentil patties

Total Time: 1 hour

Eggplant and lentil patties

• 3 small eggplants or 1 large
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup cooked lentils
  • spices (I used a blend for Middle Eastern meatballs)
  • breadcrumbs as needed
  • corn flour
  • pepper
  • extra virgin olive oil

1. First slice your eggplants in half lengthwise and cook them in a 400F oven for about 30 minutes or until soft.
  2. When the eggplants are ready, skin them and combine the eggplant and the lentils in a chopper and mix until pureed.
  3. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and add in the other ingredients. Start with mixing in the egg, the spices and the salt and pepper. I used middle Eastern spices, but basil, oregano or Mediterranean herbs would work great too!
  4. Then add in the breadcrumbs. Keep adding breadcrumbs until you have a more or less manageable dough. The dough should stay soft, but should be dry enough for you to handle and form into patties.
  5. Flour the patties with the flour. I like to use cornflour, because I find it gives a bit more of a crunch than regular flour when it is fried.
  6. Shallow fry the patties in the olive oil until browned on both sides. Serve hot with a bit of tomato sauce and your favorite side. Or make it a hamburger of sort by putting it in a bun or a pita as I did.

This entry was posted in Eggs, cheese and vegeterian, Entrée, Vegetarian and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Eggplant and lentil patties

1. Biren @ Roti n Rice says:

I love eggplants and these eggplant and lentil patties sound really tasty. Adding Middle Eastern spices is a great idea! Have a lovely weekend!

2. Nami | Just One Cookbook says:

It's true – I'm not a vegetarian, but I often feel just happy with eggplant instead of meat, like for sandwich. This eggplant & lentil patties look yummy and you put it in pita bread and put tomato sauce! Nice!!!!!

3. Nuts about food says:

I love the look of this dish. Mouthwatering.

4. Sandra says:

Awesome recipe, and so tasty looking!!! I would love this for my lunch too!:)) Got to make this soon!!!

5. PolaM says:

@Curry and Comfort I am sure you can use the leftovers from some of your dahl or eggplant curries to make these patties and give it a new spin.

6. PolaM says:

@Gio E' una vita dura per gli espatriati! Ma almeno sembro una cuoca provetta 😉

7. PolaM says:

@Cocoa and Lavender Well they are fried, so maybe not the healthiest thing in the world, but compared to fried burger with bacon, probably super healthy!

8. PolaM says:

@Manu I am glad you enjoyed my variations!

9. PolaM says:

@Boulder Locavore When eggplants are not well cooked, they can be quite horrible! I am glad you re-discovered them! They are absolutely worthy of love!

10. Boulder Locavore says:

You know Pola it's only been in the past few years that I've grown to like eggplant. I think when I'd had it earlier it was probably slimy or something that took it off my food list. This is such an interesting idea! I would not in a thousand years have considered making something like this with eggplant; thank you!

Ma che bella idea Paola! I love how you added your twist to this! Lentils and eggplant must make a delicious combo! And it sounds like a great dinner with pita and tomato sauce!!! :-))

12. Gio says:

che belle e buone! mi sa che dalle tue parti queste bontà se le sognano 🙂
    brava!

13. Cocoa and Lavender says:

These sounds great – and so healthy! I think eggplant is so underrated – can't wait to try these!

14. Curry and Comfort says:

Very cool! I love the use of the lentils. I must try this. Thanks for sharing this one. 🙂