Panettone

As part of the foodbuzz taste maker program I was lucky enough to get a sample of panettone Baducco. Now panettone has a special place in all Italians hearts. Panettone is The Christmas dessert. The one and only that has to be present for Christmas celebrations.

It is not a super sweet cake, is closer to a croissant or raisin bread but is more eggy, more fluffy and of course more christmasy! You can use panettone to make french toast or bread pudding, but in Italy we almost never do anything with panettone, we just enjoy the slices as a dessert or for breakfast. In praticular after Christmas, when panettone becomes dirt cheap (often much cheaper than bread), we eat panettone for breakfast or as an afternoon snack instead of bread and jam. When it is really cold, maybe you can add a cup of hot chocolate.

For Christmas or when we serve panettone as a dessert in a more formal dinner, when we want to spice things up a bit, we might add some sweet sauces, like a sweet orange sauce, a mascarpone cream or a chocolate ganache.

Once you are done with your daily slice, put the panettone back in its bag. It will keep for weeks (that is if you can resist to it). And next time you see panettone on the shelves of a store, grab one and give it a try!

This entry was posted in Dessert, Vegetarian. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Panettone

1. Pingback: Merry Christmas! | An Italian cooking in the Midwest

2. Nicole says:

I will miss seeing panettone everywhere since I'm not in Italy anymore. But at least now, I know how to make it! Last year I tried it out for the first time so I can make it myself instead of having to buy the imported stuff!

Yes, indeed, it wouldn't be Christmas without panettone!

4. Gio says:

che fortuna per gli americani del Midwest averti lì! 😀
    grazie per essere passata e buona settimana!

5. PolaM says:

@Tina Thanks! I am still working on my pics, but have to say that BF made a pretty good work with that lightbox!

6. P says:

@Nami | Just One Cookbook Glad you enjoyed it! But then again, how not to like a good slice of fresh panettone!

7. PolaM says:

@duespaghetti.com good to know! Will have a look at what they are cooking up!

8. Biren @ Roti n Rice says:

I walked pass it many times. They should be out soon and I will get one this time. Thanks for the review 🙂

9. Nami | Just One Cookbook says:

I actually tried Panettone for the first time last Christmas time. Since I came to the US, I was always curious about it but the box is huge and I was afraid of eating it alone. Last year I tried for the first time and fell in love with it and I ended up eating most of it by myself. I didn't need to wait to have my own family for such a long time. LOL. I haven't seen it in the store yet, but can't wait to enjoy it this year!

10. Tina says:

Panettone is a wonderful treat and it is too bad that it only comes to mind during the holidays. This post is a nice delicious reminder that it is available-year round. Stunning pics-great post.

11. foodie @ tastingspot says:

i like your pictures and would like to invite you to share them on tastingspot.com

12. duespaghetti.com says:

Mmmm, I love panettone! I had a chance to sample the one that Luigi Vitale is making for Cossetta's, which will be ready in time for the holidays. It's just like panettone da pasticceria in Italia.

Comments are closed.