Beet and potato salad

Here one of my favorite winter salads. For some reason I love this simple salad It might be the starchiness potatoes or the sweetness of the beet, but I really love this salad. My mom makes it in winter as a quick side, here it is more of an elaborate side, but still worth it in my opinion.

The reason why in Italy it is a quick side, is that in Italy you can buy pre-roasted red beets. They are sold pretty much at any supermarket or veggie store, but here they are not available. And roasting a beet is quite a feat. I found that it is not so much about the size of the beet, meaning small beets take almost as long as large beets to cook. For some reason large beets, the ones we use in Italy, start out much softer than smaller beets, so it doesn’t take much longer too cook them than the smaller ones.

The good news is that, although it takes long to roast a beet, it is not a difficult process, nor it requires much labor. So go ahead and try this salad!

Beet and potato salad

Cook Time: 3 hours

Total Time: 3 hours, 5 minutes

Beet and potato salad

• 1 large beet
  • 2 large potatoes
  • chive
  • oil

1. Wrap the potatoes and the beet in aluminum foil and place in a 415F oven until soft throughout. It takes abot 30 minutes for the potatoes, and almost 2 hours for the beet. Once your veggies are ready dice them uo and put in a bowl.
  2. Dress with chive, olive oil and salt. Be aggressive with the salt. I am not a salt person, but this dish really benefits from salt, trust me.
  3. Serve warm as a side.

This entry was posted in Salad, Side Dish, Vegan, Vegetarian and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Beet and potato salad

1. sherry ruffing says:

My mother always made this and it was devoured.she added hot pepper flakes,oregano, lemon juice and olive oil. Don’t know if it was Italian but that’s what she called it “delish”:-)

2. Nami | Just One Cookbook says:

This is my 3rd posts that I'm reading (sorry I had to catch up reading all at once), and I'm just amazed how we like similar ingredients. I feel like I'll be so pleased to eat at your home. =) My favorite beets!! I can eat beet salad every day….(and I ate at a restaurant my husband is reviewing on my blog today too). I'm a beet lover. 🙂

3. Simona says:

This salad looks very nice! I like roasted beets and prepare them for various reasons, but never thought of pairing them with potatoes.

4. claire @ the realistic nutritionist says:

I love the addition of beets!

5. Nuts about food says:

I love roasted beets and sometimes buy myself some but no one in my family is crazy about them (note to self: except for the time I made borscht…have to try that again…). This looks very tasty.

6. Christine's Pantry says:

Sounds good.

7. Baker Street says:

Beet has never been my thing but I would surely like to give it a try in this recipe of yours!

Mmmmm My mom would make it too! Sometimes we would buy all the roasted ingredients at the market and then have it for lunch. She would also add roasted onions to it sometimes… as chives were not always available. Great salad! :-))))

9. Katherine Martinelli says:

What a lovely combination of fall root veggies! I love beets (had beet risotto for dinner tonight!) so this is way up my alley!