Eggplant pesto

Before eggplants disappear from our pantries for the season, I’ll give you a simple recipe for an eggplant pesto inspired by the eggplant and walnut creamΒ proposed by Giulia on her wonderful website Alterkitchen.

I used thai eggplant and used it to dress cheese tortellini. It is a rather delicate pesto, that is a good spin on the traditional walnut sauce traditional in Liguria and usually used to dress past or very simple ravioli filled with cheese and herbs. Don’t use it to dress tortellini with elaborate fillings or even simple ones with a distinctive flavor. You want the sauce to complement the filling not overpower it, and while the sauce works for cheese filling, it wouldn’t work for meat fillings or even for spinach and cheese.

Eggplant pesto

Total Time: 40 minutes

Eggplant pesto

• thai eggplants (or regular eggplants)
  • 1/2 cup mixed nuts
  • 1 bunch basil
  • olive oil

1. Start by cutting the eggplants in half and roasting them in a 400F oven until tender. With the thai eggplants you will only need about 10 minutes, with regular eggplant you will need 1/2 an hour or so.
  2. Blend the eggplants with the nuts (I used a mix of cashews, almonds and pecans) and the basil. As you blend, add some oil an water to smooth out the pesto. Salt to taste and use to to dress pasta or, as I did, cheese tortellini.
  3. You can freeze any leftover for later use.

This entry was posted in Primi, Vegan, Vegetarian and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Eggplant pesto

1. Amee says:

I have never tried eggplant pesto. It sounds wonderful!! I can't wait to make it!! Thank you for sharing this great dish on Fit and Fabulous Fridays!! πŸ™‚

What a great idea to use this with pasta! I love everything with eggplant… hehehe I am actually addicted to them.. πŸ™‚

3. PolaM says:

@Mary Thanks Mary! I have been a quiet reader of your blog for a while now and I really think you have a knack for producing perfect bites, I'm honored you like my space!

4. Mary says:

This sounds really delicious. I ma new to your blog, so I've taken some time to browse through your earlier posts. You've created a great spot for your readers to visit and I really enjoyed the time I spent here. I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings…Mary

5. Sandra says:

I never tried eggplant pesto, and sounds like something I would like very much! I think that I've missed this post from Giulia as well..
    I really love this recipe!

6. PolaM says:

@Paolo Thanks for the seal of approval πŸ˜‰

7. PolaM says:

@Nami | Just One Cookbook It was on a while ago and she proposed it as a dip more than anything, but I figured it would work great as a pesto!

8. PolaM says:

@Cucina49I love doing things from scratch! No matter what you put in you can be sure they are healthier than what you buy in a box!

9. PolaM says:

@claire @ the realistic nutritionist Eggplants are one of my favorite things. In this pesto the eggplant flavor comes out in a pretty subtle way. Still delicious, an I think it should work also for eggplants skeptics πŸ˜‰

10. PolaM says:

@Baker Street well I have this huge jar of mixed nuts from Costco someone brought for a party and I have to use it someway… If I just eat them I'd probably gain 30lbs…

11. Paolo says:

Very interesting concept, and looks really good! I also completely agree on your advice: always pair up delicate flavors with delicate flavors.

12. Nami | Just One Cookbook says:

Oh I somehow missed this post at Giulia's. Roasted eggplant pesto sounds yummy. I'd be happy eating pasta dressed by this eggplant pesto… yum!

13. Cucina49 says:

Looks really good–and a healthy basis for a sauce!

14. claire @ the realistic nutritionist says:

Love this use of eggplant! I might actually eat it this way πŸ™‚

15. Baker Street says:

I love that you used mixed nuts! πŸ™‚

16. Angie's Recipes says:

I like the use of a mix of nuts in this pesto sauce…yummy!