Recipe Swap: Creme Caramel

So today it is officially a year of swapping! I only have been with the swap for about 8 month, but it has been great. It is always interesting to see what everyone comes up with and the wildly different interpretations the same recipe can get!

To celebrate our 1 birthday, we are working with maple syrup cake. I am afraid I went off on a tangent, but there is a logic to it. Let me explain you how it goes.

In Italy there is no maple syrup, meaning lately it is something that we are starting to see, but it is definitely not part of our culinary tradition. So what is there that is kind of like maple syrup? Well caramel! it has the same amber color, the sweetness and a hint of smokiness. And then the inevitable happened. If I am using caramel, then I have to make creme caramel!

Creme caramel is one of those things you grow up with in Italy, it is usually an afternoon snack, that your mom would prepare using a pre-made mixture. It is a custardy pudding with caramel poured all over. It is delicious and kind of light, well airy more than low calorie. I have to hide it not to eat it all in one go.

So here there are no creme caramel mixes, so I figured I’d learn how to make it and discovered is not that difficult after all! So here is my contribution to the swap. Be sure to check what everyone else did!

Recipe Swap: Creme Caramel

Cook Time: 1 hour

Total Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes

Recipe Swap: Creme Caramel

• 4 eggs and 1 yolk
  • 2 cups milk
  • vanilla or vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup sugar for the pudding + 1/2 cup sugar for the caramel
  • 1/4 cup water

1. Infuse the milk with the vanilla flavor, if you use real vanilla you'll have to warm up the milk with the vanilla pod let it sit for 30 min or so and then strain it through a sieve, if you use extract you can simply add it to the milk.
  2. Prepare the caramel by melting the sugar with the water and cooking it on high heat until it takes an amber color. Pour the caramel in the molds you are using for the pudding and let it solidify. You can use one big pan or 6 portion sized ones.
  3. Beat the eggs with the sugar and the milk until well combined and pour over the caramel. Cover the molds with aluminum foil and place them in the oven at 375F in a oven dish filled with boiling water. The water should come up to about 2/3 of the pudding molds.
  4. Cook them until the pudding has set, about 50 minutes for the single serving sizes or a bit longer for the big mold. Take them out of the oven and let the pudding cool down. When it is room temperature chill it for 4 hours in the fridge, before serving. In a pinch 1 hour in the freezer works as well.
  5. When ready to serve, simply turn on a serving dish. And enjoy!

This entry was posted in Dessert, Vegetarian and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Recipe Swap: Creme Caramel

1. rosemarried says:

Gosh, I forget how "American" maple syrup is! I love that you did an Italian twist on this, and it looks/sounds amazing. As always, I'm so happy you're part of our swap group!

2. Nami | Just One Cookbook says:

I completely missed this when I came here last time. I love creme caramel and my husband goes crazy about this. I always try a new creme caramel recipe out of habit so I'm keeping yours! Looks so delicious~~~~~!

3. Sabrina Modelle says:

I grew up with créme caramel too. It was my favorite dessert as a kid and I always wanted it for my birthday. I love this. So happy to have you in the swap, Pola!

4. Tiffany says:

One of my fav desserts!

5. claire says:

This totally beats the afternoon snacks I used to get! It looks amazing, what a great take on the swap and a perfect birthday treat!

6. speedy70 says:

Mi aggiungo subito ai tuoi lettori, quante belle ricette ho visto, complimenti!!!!! Passa a trovarmi, un abbraccio dall'Italia!!!!

7. easyfoodsmith says:

Love this creamy dessert…

8. emily | nomnivorous says:

I rather love when my brain gets inspired and runs off on a tangent. Not everyone "gets it" maybe, but I totally do. And on that note, the creme caramel looks amazing. So luscious!

9. Lana says:

Pola, I love creme caramel! We don't have maple syrup in Serbia either, and I thought of rum as a substitute, even though it's not sweet:)
    Isn't it weird how a dish which is considered common in one culture gets elevated in another? I could eat these creamy concoctions every day!

I'm not much on sweets, but I do have a soft spot for creme caramel. That creamy texture is something else. And it's light enough that you can always have a bite, even after a large meal.

11. Nuts about food says:

I never thought of the fact that creme caramel is not really present in the US, it is such a given when you live in Italy. Looks like yours turned out wonderfully.

12. Jacqueline - The Dusty Baker says:

Mmmmmmm!! I've never made Creme Caramel before. Can't wait to try this – beautiful!

13. Alli Shircliff says:

Wow this looks so good…I like the Italian version of maple syrup! Sounds like a great afternoon snack to me!

14. Shari says:

Looks great and definitely one of my favourite desserts – yum, yum, yum … great contribution to the swap.

Shari

15. Barbara | Creative Culinary says:

I love this and love how you navigated through a cake to creme caramel. Looks fabulous. Want to trade a plate of this for a cupcake? Please?

16. Rachel says:

Whoa…I'm impressed…that looks like some kind of caramel magic! I love how you stayed true to your heritage with this recipe and you've inspired me to make a dessert I've never tried before!

17. Baker Street says:

oh! what i'd give to have that now!

18. Boulder Locavore says:

Pola I love that you keep your heritage in your cooking and brought it into this. Your dish looks more than delicious! I cannot believe it's been going on for 11 months for me and 8 for you! Seems like just yesterday you joined in! You are such a fresh, enthusiastic voice in this swap; I'm delighted we've met this way!

19. Caffay Way says:

This looks delicious and seems to be easy to make ~ will need to try soon!

20. Biren @ Roti n Rice says:

This looks delicious! I like the nice golden color. I will have to give it a try one of these days.

21. Our Eyes Eat First says:

looks amazing! I guess caramel is the flavor of the season : j

22. Alex says:

great job! good work on adapting a favorite treat you're not able to find..love it!

Comments are closed.