Eggnog bread pudding

Tomorrow I am leaving for Italy. I will be in my home country for a couple of weeks and it is very likely that I will be busy celebrating, meeting friends and family, eating and shopping and my blog won’t be updated very often. I will try to keep an almost regular schedule but I cannot guarantee. If you start missing me, just think I am enjoying Milan and the alps.

As I am leaving, I am trying to use up all the leftovers in my fridge so that I don’t have to throw them out. And one of the things are always left in our fridge during the┬áSeason is eggnog.

BF loves the idea of eggnog, but I don’t think he really likes eggnog. Every winter, at the beginning of the season he buys eggnog, drinks 1/4 of a glass and then puts it in┬áthe fridge and never touches it again. I am not a big fan, but this year I was determined to use it all.

So I decided to make bread pudding out of it, and it turned out pretty great!

Eggnog bread pudding

Prep Time: 10 hours

Cook Time: 1 hour

Total Time: 11 hours

Yield: 16 Slices

Eggnog bread pudding

• 1 quart eggnog
  • 3-4 cups stale bread
  • 1 bunch grape
  • 1/4 cup nuts (optional)
  • 1 spoon butter

1. Dice the bread roughly and put it in a bowl. You can use any kind of bread and you can even add leftover cookies and cakes.
  2. Cover the bread with eggnog and let it soak overnight. The eggnog should completely cover the bread.
  3. The next morning add the grape and the nuts (if using) and put in a buttered pan. Place the butter on top of the pudding in small dollops.
  4. Bake at 350F for about 1 hour or until golden.
  5. Note:
  6. This is meant to be a leftover cake, so put in whatever you have at home that needs using. Nuts, apples, chocolate, jam are all good ideas. Be sure to add some sort of fruit though as it makes the pudding less dense and moister.
  7. Eggnog is very sweet so I would not add any more sugar than the one that is already in the eggnog, if you don't have eggnog you can make bread pudding using milk to soak the bread and add 1 or 2 eggs to the soaked bread before baking it.

This entry was posted in Bread, Cake, Dessert, Vegetarian and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to Eggnog bread pudding

1. Joana says:

This is something that I need to try it out. This Eggnog thing looks like delicious.

2. I have to admit that I haven’t tried eggnog yet in my 15 years of US life…yep I know it’s about time to try! I’ll have to try this pudding after I try eggnog first. ;-)

3. Sook says:

I have yet to try eggnog… The bread looks so moist and delicious!

4. Emily says:

ooohh my mother and I tried making bread pudding one time and it failed. We’ll have to try it again with this recipe. Thanks!

Try it again, it is really not that difficult. The trick is to let it bake on a relatively low temp… I am a horribe baker, but bread pudding almost always comes out great!

5. Gio says:

questo mi piace assai!
    lo rifaccio nel nuovo anno :)
    TANTISSIMI AUGURI!

6. Daniela says:

Buon 2012 Pola. Un abbraccio Daniela.

7. Mmmm eggnog in bread pudding. Great dessert!

8. wok with ray says:

I love this delicious looking pudding especially those crusty burnt ends there. :) Have a wonderful time in Italy!

~ ray ~

9. Buon viaggio! Send me an email if you are in Milan and have a couple of minutes for a coffee. Or to let me know where you will be in the mountains…who knows, we may cross paths. I will be away for the holidays but back in the city in January. Ciao!

10. Buon viaggio e buone feste!

11. Letizia says:

I totally get your bf, I too love the idea of eggnog. I love seeing people drink eggnog in movies and I always buy it but never end up drinking much of it unless its spiked with liquor…maybe it’s meant to be spiked! Lol. Anyway, you recipe sounds delicious, I will try it during the holidays.

12. Parsley Sage says:

Great use of that eggnog :) Have a safe and fun trip!

Buzzed

13. Kiri W. says:

Ooooh, tasty! I love eggnog to death, it’s one of my favorite holiday flavors, and in a bread pudding? Amazing!

14. Bread pudding is a special treat and I love the fact that this has eggnog in it. Your picture is all I needed to tell me this one is not to be passed up. Amazing picture and a delicious recipe. Glad I stopped in-well done!

15. Oh this bread pudding look fantastic..recipe is a keeper!!! Have fun in Italy..can I fit in your suitcase:))) lol! Wishing to Merry Christmas and Happy new Year dear!!! Enjoy yourself!!!