Brasato: red wine braised meat

Yesterday I made brasato. Brasato is beef braised in red wine, typically Barolo, and cooked until fall apart tender. It is delicious. Especially in winter at a dinner with friends and served with some polenta. And that is exactly what I did.

One of my friends, was so nice to take pics of the food for me. As you know I am a rather bad photographer, at least as compared to the rest of the awesome food bloggers out there. So I’m very glad to have help. Particularly to take picture of meat drenched in gravy in the dim lights of my apartment. Anytime I have to take pics of something glossy and soupy at night I cannot get anything in focus, there is always some sort of glare and I end up with horrible pic. So thanks Madhu for helping me out! Hope you enjoyed the food!

Brasato: red wine braised beef

Cook Time: 3 hours

Brasato: red wine braised beef

• 2 lb beef (shoulder or chuck pot roast)
  • 4 carrots
  • 2 onions
  • 3 stalk celery
  • 1 bottle good red wine, ideally Barolo
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 10 grains black pepper
  • 1 stick cinnamon
  • 1 sprig rosemary
  • 2 cloves
  • olive oil

1. The day before you want to have your dice all the vegetable and place them along with the meat and the spices (bay, pepper grains, cloves, cinnamon and rosemary) in a bowl. Cover everything with the wine and put in the fridge to rest for 12-20 hours.
  2. After the meat is well marinated, fish it out from the marinade and dry it using a paper towel. Don't throw out the marinade or the wine.
  3. Warm up a couple of spoons of oil in a dutch oven and when it is hot brown the meat on all sides. When the meat is well browned, add the the vegetables from the marinade. After about 5 minutes, season the meat on all sides with salt and pepper.
  4. Warm up the wine from the marinade in the microwave so that it is not too cold and add it to the meat. The meat should be almost submerged. Cover the dutch oven and let your meat cook for about 2 and 1/2 hours or until buttery soft.
  5. When the meat is cooked fish it out and slice it. Using an immersion blender, blend the vegetables to obtain a thick gravy. If needed let the gravy reduce a couple of minutes on the stove.
  6. Pour part of the gravy on the sliced meat and serve hot with polenta or mashed potatoes with the rest of the gravy on the side.

Brasato

This entry was posted in Beef, Entrée and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Brasato: red wine braised meat

1. Dara says:

Love it! What a gorgeous recipe. I love to braise and this sounds simple and tasty. Your table look so elegant.

2. Pingback: Polenta gnocchi with savoy cabbage and cheese | An Italian cooking in the Midwest

3. ping says:

My kind of stew! Lots of meat and a good gravy made out of pureed everything else :D
    Wholesome goodness!

4. Paula says:

Thanks for visiting my site! The braised meet looks wonderful!

5. Claudia says:

I am currently braising meat in red wine – but yours is – silkier… and I thought of doing polenta but opted for mashed potatoes. Now – I’m kicking myself.

6. Kiri W. says:

Oooh, now that sounds delicious :) Sounds somewhat like what I grew up with in Germany. Delicious!

7. Cucina49 says:

Your friend’s photos are lovely–the meat looks spectacular!

Slow cooked beef in red wine will always be one of my top comfort meals, love this recipe

9. Braised beef in red wine sounds delicious! Picture taking at night is always a challenge. I need help too for my evening pix. Nice table setting!

10. What a delicious looking meal you prepared for your guests: your friends are very lucky. I always have a really hard time photographing dark, glossy things. Which is a bad thing since I like making chocolate desserts…they always look much worse in picture than in real life.

11. Although I’ve never heard of Brasato before, I’d definitely love to try it. The sauce looks so yummy! I love braised meat… your table shows how delicious dinner it was for everyone!

12. That sauce sounds divine and it looks like the perfect dish for Winter! :D

13. This looks and sounds beyond delicious Pola!! There’s nothing better than beef braised in red wine on a cold day.

14. Oh that just looks so comforting and lovely! Love your use of spices here too :)

15. Mmmm… this looks delicious! A perfect winter meal. Although, admittedly it may take some encouragement to spare a bottle of barolo for the meat! We still have your lamb stew with polenta on our list to make – now there’s another to add.

I used a much cheaper sangiovese. Turns out great all the same. Technically you should use a wine from Nebbiolo grapes, but I find that as long as the wine is decent you get a great result…

16. This sounds very much like some of ther German roasts found in my grandma’s cookbook. Now you have me hungry for MEAT, and it’s past my bedtime! LOL

17. Slow cooked meat like this is one of my favourite things to make and eat. Love the addition of the cinnamon and cloves to this dish too.

18. Alida says:

Buonissimo questo brasato!It is great with polenta. My dad produces his own polenta so we have polenta all the time. So nice!

19. Daniela says:

Ricca e saporita questa ricetta, è una di quel genere di ricette che io adoro. Daniela.

20. Daniela says:

Ricca e saporita questa ricetta, è una di quel genere di ricette che io adoro. un abbraccio, buona settimana Daniela.