Chicken salad

The other day I roasted a chicken. Before the chicken I served risotto. With the chicken I served roasted potatoes. There were only 4 guests. Half the chicken was left behind and I had leftovers for the next few days.

The first day we just warmed up the chicken legs and eat it, the second day we wanted something different. So I ventured in preparing a chicken salad. At that point there wasn’t that much chicken left, so I had to create volume with some savoy cabbage and some other nice ingredients, but no mayo!

It turned out very good. BF loved it despite usually hating chicken salads and leftovers. And I felt good eating a relatively healthy version of chicken salad.

Chicken salad

Chicken salad

• leftover chicken
  • 2 thick slices of coppa or other ham
  • 2 slices Manchego or other cheese
  • 20 cherry tomatoes
  • Savoy cabbage or other salad
  • 1 stalk celery
  • 5 black olives
  • oregano
  • extra virgin olive oil

1. This is a leftover salad so ingredients and quantities are just an indication. feel free to substitute according to taste and leftovers.
  2. Dice chicken, ham, cheese, tomatoes and celery.
  3. Thinly slice cabbage and pit and slice olives.
  4. Combine all ingredients and dress with a bit of oil, salt and oregano to taste.
  5. Let rest for 10 minutes or so to allow flavors to mingle and serve.

This entry was posted in Entrée, Salad and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to Chicken salad

1. ping says:

Hehe … sometimes I wonder if I roast chicken just to have some chicken salad :D
    I love me some creaminess and sometimes use some mashed avocado in place of mayo. Just thought you might like to try that out.

2. You know how much i love good chicken salad, and yours is very very good! Love all the ingr.
    Nicely done as always! Have a beautiful day!!!!!

3. Ruth says:

Great salad! Leftover chicken can be such a treat when used like this! Thanks!

4. I adore chicken salad with roast chicken except I never have any left over. And even if I roasted one on purpose, I would probably end up eating it warm. Can I have some of yours?

Well here chickens are a bit bigger than on your side of the ocean… I remember rarely having leftovers back home, but here chickens are as big as turkeys…

If that is my dinner salad I think I would skip my mains and have two servings of those. Nom Nom Nom

6. Gio says:

ma sai che mi hai messo voglia!
    da tanto non la faccio che bella idea che mi hai dato!

7. Pola, this chicken salad is very simple and easy to make. It’s nice idea that you use leftover roasted chicken as it has great flavor in it already. I have never heard or tried Manchego before (unless I ate without knowing it…). Coppa is one of my favorite cold cuts too! This salad sounds really yummy and my kind of salad!!!

8. Ely says:

Grazie della tua visita! Così sono approdata qui, che meraviglia addirittura oltre oceano che bello! L’inglese lo capisco a malapena ma questa ricetta solo a guardarla mette appetito! Da oggi ti seguo con piacere :-)
    Ciao Ely

Grazie! Se vuoi c’e’ un tasto per tradurre i post in Italiano, e’ un traduttore automatico quindi potrebbero esserci delle traduzioni comiche ma potrebbe essere divertente ;)

9. Daniela says:

E’ deliziosa la tua insalata di pollo. Un abbraccio Daniela.

10. A good way to use up leftover chicken. My boys enjoy roast chicken and there’s hardly any leftovers at our home :)

11. Dara says:

This looks fabulous! I hate mayo, so I enjoy salad recipes that leave it out. What a healthy way to enjoy leftovers.

12. A great use of chicken leftover combined with cabbages!

13. Chicken salad is one of my favourite standby meals….it’s different each time depending on the ingredients I have at that particular time so it keeps it interesting. This salad looks really colourful and delicious!

I usually do just chicken, celery and cheese, but this time I didn’t have that much chicken so I needed to fill it up. I think from now on I will stick to this new version!

14. Janet@FCTC says:

Sounds like a great spin on the typical mayo drenched chicken salad!

15. Kiri W. says:

Looks healthy and delicious! I’m not sure how much I’d like the raw celery, but other than that I think I’d love this :)

I find that if you “peel” the celery to get the strings out it gets pretty much pleasant. And it gives a nice crunch to the salad. But I’m sure you can substitute it with carrots or something like that.

16. Alida says:

Che delizia! I love this one. Very tasty way of making a meal out of leftovers!