Lamb ragu’

Back in the US, I am now trying to get back into the rhythm of things. Home, work, friends, blogging and sleeping. I like the first few days of jet lag because I can wake up really early and get a lot of things done before my day really starts. My BF unfortunately does not agree with me and finds the whole going to bed early and waking up early thing kind of lame. So the whole routine only lasts a couple of days.

The other thing I should be doing is eating healthier. Coming back from Christmas break, a long flight and the jet lag means a mixture of overstuffed from the holiday meals, bloated from the plane ride and hungry at all times from the jet lag. Plus of course the fridge  is empty, so I have to resort to frozen or canned food until I decide to go grocery shopping (which might happen soon because I need vegetables!).

Anyway yesterday I opened the freezer and I had some ground lamb. Of course in my pantry pasta and tomato sauce or paste are never missing. So I thought lamb ragu! And I put together a wholesome pasta with a rich meat sauce. The lighter eating will start today (or maybe tomorrow), but the eating well has already started!

Lamb ragu’

Cook Time: 2 hours, 30 minutes

Lamb ragu’

• 1/2 lb ground lamb
  • 1/2 onion
  • 5 oz. pasta
  • 2 tbsp tomato paste
  • 2 oz. grated pecorino
  • cilantro
  • red wine
  • pepper
  • olive oil

1. In a pan, saute the diced onion in a bit of oil until it's soft. Add in the ground lamb and sear the meat for a couple of minutes. When the meat is well browned, add a splash of red wine and let the alcohol evaporate.
  2. Add the tomato paste to the sauce and enough water to get a somewhat liquid sauce. Add salt and pepper to taste and let it simmer covered for a couple of hours: I let it cook for a little longer than 2 hours, but as is the case for ragu' alla bolognese here the longer the cooking the better the sauce. If the sauce becomes to thick, add some more water to prevent it from sticking to the bottom.
  3. When you are ready to eat cook your pasta in plenty of salted boiling water. I used some hearty fetuccine but any kind of long hearty pasta (tagliatelle, spaghettoni, bucatini, spaghetti alla chitarra) would work well. Drain the pasta al dente and mix it with the meat sauce. Add cilantro and grated pecorino cheese to taste and serve hot.

This entry was posted in Pasta, Primi and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

40 Responses to Lamb ragu’

1. Anna says:

Wow, sono meravigliose, un piatto appetitoso, brava spero che mi verrai a trovare, ciao a presto.

2. I love ragu and pasta as it is such a comforting dish. And good for you for making this from scratch! :D

3. This looks delicious!! I rarely think of using ground lamb, but this looks like the perfect application.

All I can say is wow! That ragu looks amazing.

5. This is a hit! We love lamb, and our mouths have been watering ever since we saw the title of this newest post show up on our RSS feed. It’s on our list of things to make soon. Welcome back!

6. Jim says:

Your photograph captures the idea of “comfort food”!

Jim

7. mmm…that sure looks tempting and delicious!

8. Sorry I didn’t know you were in Italy! Welcome back! I was also away in Taiwan and after coming back my mom was visiting from Japan for 2 weeks. I hope you had a lovely holiday with your family! I just made spaghetti tonight but I want to eat this!

9. This looks absolutely amazing! The sauce sounds delicious!

10. Assunta says:

Questa pasta ha un aspetto favoloso, troppo invitante!!! :-)
    Complimenti per la foto che rende benissimo l’idea! ;-)

11. Congrats on your top 9. This sound delish for a cold winter night.

12. I have never tried lamb ragu before but I will definitely have to. It looks so great and it is a nice change from my normal sauce using beef. Thanks!

13. The ragu looks lovely and hearty. I have just come across your blog and over here in Australia we are big lamb eaters so this dish would be lovely when it gets a bit cooler.

14. Welcome back, and what a come back!!! Love this dish of yours, and photos are so yummy!!
    Congrats on Foodbuzz top 9!!!

15. Natalia says:

Uno dei miei piatti preferiti!

16. Kiri W. says:

Mmm, this looks wonderfully comforting. I love lamb, and pecorino should go great with this dish.
    I can also relate to the jet lag issue, it was pretty tough for me coming back to the U.S. after the holidays back home in Germany! I hope you catch up soon.

17. That is exactly how I felt last week: I desperately wanted some fresh produce in my kitchen I couldn’t stand another day of frozen, canned, dried foods. I love ragù and lamb is one of my favorite meats…I wish it was easier to find ground lamb here…

18. alida says:

Mmm.. mi fa venire l’acquolina in bocca. Il ragu’ con l’agnello non l’ho mai provato e deve essere molto saporito.

Si, e’ davvero saporito, poi la carne di agnello e’ un po’ piu’ grassa di quella di manzo e quindi il sughino si attacca alla pasta che e’ una meraviglia!

19. Mary says:

This sounds great. I’ve never cooked lamb before. This sounds like a go-to meal to me.

I often cook lamb, but I never tried making ragu’ before. I have to say it works out great because lamb meat is kind of fatty and it creates a very luscious sauce.

20. Daniela says:

Adoro la carne di agnello e questo ragu’ è favoloso!!
    Un abbraccio Daniela.