Onion soup

I haven’t done much cooking last week. Between the semi-empty fridge, the getting back in my US life and the starting to work again, it just seemed like I could only throw together something at the very last minute.

In addition, the weather here has been bitterly cold. This winter Minnesota seems to be generally warmer than usual, but last week it decided to throw in a couple of true Minnesota winter days. They were not worse than your average Minnesota winter day, but they were horrible compared to the rather mild days we had this winter. And I am not good at standing Minnesota cold.

So I will resuscitate an old recipe I never posted and give you onion soup.

Onion soup

Onion soup

• 4 large onions
  • 1 quart beef broth
  • 4 slices stale or toasted bread
  • 4 oz grated gruvyer cheese
  • 1 tbsp flour
  • 2 bay leaves
  • pepper
  • butter

1. Start by thinly slicing the onions. In a casserole melt the butter and add the onions and the bay leaves. Salt the onions to help them loose the water and let them cook until very tender.
  2. When the onions are cooked add the flour and mix so that the flour coats the onions uniformly. Add the broth and let cook for 30 minutes or so. Season the soup to taste with salt and pepper and fish out the bay leaves.
  3. Transfer the soup to individual bowls and top them with the bread and the grated cheese. Place the bowls under the grill and let the cheese broil until it forms a nice golden crust.
  4. Serve the soup super hot.

This entry was posted in Almost vegetarian, Primi, Soup and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to Onion soup

1. This drop in temperature is hard to bear after the relatively warm spell. I hope we don’t get slammed with a prolonged winter. Your soup is the perfect antidote for the bitter cold outside. I can do with a bowl right now.

Yeah it feels really much colder than usual even if at this time of the year these temperatures are not unusual at all… let’s keep our finger crossed for an early spring!

2. Ohh dear Pola, this sound so easy but packed with flavor! Thank you for sharing it..I am late, but want to congratulate you on top 9!:)

3. Ramona says:

Great looking soup! Congrats on Top 9! :)

4. ping says:

I love onion soup and the crusty top of bread and cheese. So wholesome and hearty and satisfying. This sounds easy enough for me :D

That onion soup looks rich and delicious! I wanna make one of those

6. Ohhh..onion soup! I love it and NOW I want it! How delightful! This looks really filling! YUM!

7. Dara says:

I love onion soup! In fact, I was just talking with my Grandma about how I need to make some soon. Great recipe!

8. Daniela says:

Adoro la zuppa di cipolle, è perfetta per le serate invernali.
    Ciao Daniela.

9. marifra79 says:

Favolosa e perfetta con il freddo del periodo! Un abbraccio e buonissima serata

10. You might call this something you just throw together, but it looks sublime. I loooooove onion soup!

11. I love this soup! It’s so tasty and substantial! :D

12. wok with ray says:

I love onion soup and yours soup looks very hearty and delicious, Pola! Thank you for sharing this dish. Have a great week!

13. A lovely winter soup….simple ingredients but oh so inviting on a cold winter day.

Onion soup is my favourite soup ever! I often make it in winter! Yours looks delicious as always! <3

Welcome back! I have been quite "silent" too… unfortunately I haven't been back to Italy (not in the last 3 and a half years), but at least my parents were over here, so I spent most of the time with them! :-)

Happy (belated) New Year Paola! <3

15. Alida says:

This is something new to me and worth trying, a nice warm soup to keep us warm.
    This is next on my list!

16. Alida says:

This is something new to me and definitely worth trying. That’s next on my list!

The winter has finally turned cold here, too. I guess we should be grateful that it was so warm for so long… Anyway, I can’t think of a better way to take the chill off than a nice, steamy bowl of onion soup!

18. I absolutely adore onion soup and yours looks divine!

19. Kiri W. says:

This looks fantastic with the croutons and melted cheese on top :) Very nice recipe, your onions look so perfectly caramelized!