Passatelli in brodo

Here is still cold. Not bitterly cold like last week, but cold enough to appreciate good comfort food. Also, I had leftover homemade beef broth which I really did not want to trow out. But what should I cook?

Inspired by Donatella, I decided to go for passatelli in an unusual form. Passatelli are typical from Emilia Romagna. They are a kind of pasta of sort that usually has the shape of short fat noodles. To give them the appropriate shape you need a special kitchen tool or a potato ricer with big holes. I did not have any of the two and ended up shaping them like little balls.

They tasted great and where very satisfying. They tasted much more refined than the sum of the simple ingredients that go in there. One other little miracle of Italian “cucina povera” (poor cooking, i.e. cooking with poor, simple ingredients).

Passatelli in brodo

Passatelli in brodo

• 3 cups homemade broth
  • 2 egg
  • 3.5 oz bread crumbs
  • 1 oz parmesan
  • 1 oz pecorino
  • 1 pinch nutmeg
  • grated zest of 1 lemon or lime
  • 1 tsp oil or butter

1. Warm up the broth.
  2. Meanwhile mix the eggs with the bread crumbs, the grated cheese, nutmeg, oil and lemon zest.
  3. Now form the passatelli using a potato ricer with large holes and drop them in the boiling broth. They will be cooked when they start floating.
  4. If, like me, you don't have a suitable rices, form the dough into small balls the size of an hazelnut and cook them as above.

This entry was posted in Primi, Soup and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

37 Responses to Passatelli in brodo

1. simmy says:

ho gia preso nota dei tuoi passatelli metterei + 1 a tutto poi provvederò davvero bravissima

2. This looks really good. I love simple meals like this. BTW, in IE 8 your pictures look really large and reach into the other layout. Just FYI. 🙂

3. I am obsessed with soup and noodles/dumplings of any kind so this recipe is right up my alley. Thanks for visiting my blog! Yours is wonderful 🙂

4. I love soup with a bit of body in it and this looks wonderful! 😀

This is a wonderful soup, I love the idea of how simple it is 🙂

6. Donatella says:

Felice che ti siano piaciuti i passatelli formato pallina…. Ciao, buona domenica

7. Love this soup, and your recipe is bit different from mine..Will have to try this recipe too!
    Have a wonderful day!!!

It’s the first time I tried and I put together a couple of recipe I found around the web. The lemon is what takes it to the next level.

8. alida says:

I had these recently in Italy. If they are homemade they are ever so good and so nice to have when is cold. Beautiful dish Brava!

9. marifra79 says:

Un piatto caldo e confortante! Direi perfetto per il freddo del periodo… non li ho mai prepati sai, devo rimediare!! Un abbraccio

10. Dewi says:

Delicious looking soup Pola! Looks really tempting.

11. I love these poor man’s meatballs! Kind of like matzoh balls now that I think of it. The soup looks delicious, perfect to warm you up. It’s cold and rainy where I am so I could use a big bowl of this!

12. Hmmm delicious! Perfect for winter nights. I had never added cheese in meatballs. I should try it next time. You made beef broth, how wonderful! I only make Japanese dashi stock daily but not beef/chicken/veggies before. I should make homemade one day.

13. lucy says:

che buoni!sono decisamente queste le ricette che adoro mangiare in questo periodo

14. Bella idea ma la Nonna mi sgriderebbe se cambio la sua ricetta 🙂

La mia nonna non li faceva, quindi sono libera di modificare la ricetta come voglio. Questi erano ottimi, ma sono sicura che quelli della Nonna sono ancora meglio!

15. Kiri W. says:

Sounds delicious! I don’t think I’ve ever had passatelli, but I bet I’d devour them 🙂

16. How gorgeous these little parcels look swimming in the broth…a nice change to the heavier soups.

17. I actually think I almost like passatelli better in this form!

Comments are closed.