Recipe Swap: zabaglione pudding

On the last night of my Christmas vacation in Italy I write the first post of the year. I spent the last 3 weeks in Italy enjoying friends and family, the food and the shopping. As a result I spent almost no time on the web and not enough time on work… Very busy weeks ahead, but I enjoyed my time this side of the ocean!

For this first post I am interpreting zabaglione for the recipe swap at Burwell General Store. I was very happy to see this recipe. one of the clearest memory of my grandmother is the one of an afternoon when my grandma decided to make me zabaglione. I remember it because I wanted to help, but I didn’t know that I had to separate the yolk. That created a bit of drama, but all ended up well with some great zabaglione.

For the swap, I have made a pudding out of a simple zabaglione. I made zabaglione and added in gelatine to solidify it. It turns into a pretty calorie dense dessert with a very distinct zabaglione taste. To make it lighter you can add a bit more milk.

I am very curios to see what my fellow blogger did, remember to check out their work!

Zabaglione pudding

Zabaglione pudding

• 4 eg yolks
  • 4 tbsp sugar
  • 4 1/2 eggshells Marsala
  • 2 tsp gelatin
  • 1/2 cup milk

1. Soak the gelatin in a bit of water and let it bloom. Also prepare a pot with water and bring it to a simmering boil.
  2. In a stainless steel bowl whisk the yolks with the sugar until the mixture becomes foamy and very pale. Then, slowly add the Marsala and bring the bowl on the simmering water.
  3. Keep whisking for about 10 minutes or until the mixture thickens up. As soon as the mixture has thickened, take the bowl off the heat and add the gelatin. Whisk until the gelatin has dissolved.
  4. Add the milk and pour in a mold to cool down. Place in the fridge for about 4 hours or until solidified and enjoy as a dessert.

This entry was posted in Dessert, Vegetarian and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

43 Responses to Recipe Swap: zabaglione pudding

1. I love this! The mold is beautiful and it’s so smooth and glossy. And I love the eggshell measurements. My Portuguese aunt has similar “soupspoon” measurements. Happy swapping and happy New Year!

2. How brilliant to add gelatin to set up as a pudding. Italy over the holidays must have been so fun.

3. Liz says:

lo zabaione lo adoro, caldo e spumato con biscottini di frolla al cioccolato. questo qui mmmh, forse no. Forse…
    Brava! tieni alta la bandiera della nostra cucina là!

4. Alli says:

I like the mold you used for the Zabaglione! And the addition of gelatin makes it look nice and spoonable!

5. I’ve never heard of zabaglione before, but I’m surprised by the very simple and basic ingredients (besides eggshell Marsala). Thank you for sharing the recipe and story about your grandma. That’s a sweet memory. :-)

It is a very common thing in Italy. Eggshell marsala is just marsala measured using eggshells. Marsala can be substituted with sherry or port or even rice wine or actually any liquor you like!

6. Shumaila says:

Oh I wish I was there vacationing with you in Italy! That pudding looks absolutely delish. Love the mold- so festive!

7. Assunta says:

Stupendo!!!…compreso lo stampo, che, adesso che mi ci fai pensare, dovrei avere anche io, acquistato anni or sono quando ero ancora una ragazzina!! ;-)

8. Pippi says:

Ciao Pola! lo zabaione è un ricordo credo in comune a molti un pò come il mio salame di cioccolato. Mia mamma lo preparava nel pomeriggio soprattutto quando avevo qualche amichetta a casa a studiare. Il profumo indimenticabile. grazie per avermelo ricordato!
    a presto
    Pippi

Wow that pudding looks so soft, I think I would love the texture of that delicious treat

10. Christy says:

What a lovely pudding!!:)

11. Susie says:

This looks really cool. I like how you added gelatin to make it more solid plus the mold you used is really pretty.

12. This looks wonderful! I love the mold. It reminds me of Sunday dinners and jello molds at my mom’s table.

13. Laura Rees says:

Yes. I especially love that you put this in an old timey mold. That is perfect!

I love the mold too! Originally it had several different shapes you could change, now I think only the star is left… but it makes for puddings and such!

14. such a pretty thing. good idea.

15. Great idea, it is my childhood coming back to me- I am born Italian living and cooking Italian in NC , you in the Midwest, happy Italian cooking.. Ciao, Grazie

16. Ok, I am French/born Italian in NC, we are friends, you cooking in the Midwest, me in the SouthEast, zabaglione was such a treat when a little girl.. Grazie e Ciao!

Welcome! Aside from that episode, I remember my brother preparing an easy zabaglione (basically uncooked) as a snack during the afternoon to get the energy to study…

17. Gio says:

mi piace ed è anche veloce!
    ti ricordi il liquore Vov? io lo adoravo :)

18. Kiri W. says:

What an ingenious little twist on zabaglione! Lovely, and your pudding shape is gorgeous, too.

19. That looks delicious, and love the memories it brings back. Too bad we missed each other in Milan, but it was a super hectic time of the year and it was nice to chat with you anyway via mail and text. Next time round, ok?

20. Lana says:

Nice twist, Pola! And how serendipitous that you are in Italy spending time with family and friends while we are challenged with an Italian dessert:)

21. Pola this is nothing less than completely beguiling! What a totally fun and darling dessert! A very happy end to a meal. Love it! Hope you are enjoying your new hosted site!

22. This sounds and looks like a great pudding. Thank you for sharing this. This is my first time here and will be back.

I like the new look of the blog, very nice! I love zabaglione (though I haven’t had it in ages and never in pudding form. Very pretty indeed. Just the thing for a holiday dessert!