A hearty sandwich

The other day we were watching our favorite travel channel TV show: Bizarre Foods. We love Andrew Zimmern’s humor and  enjoy watching him explore curious food. Anyway, on that episode he showed culinary students how to cook heart. Everyone then proceeded to taste heart and comment on how good and unlike any other offal it was.

Next think I know, BF comes home from grocery shopping with lamb hearts. Now BF never willingly eats offal, not even liver. I got him to eat tongue, but that hardly count as offal: that is a voluntary muscle just as any other meat cut. So you can imagine my surprise. Well I quickly ventured online and found a recipe to cook heart. It suggested marinating the meat and then grilling it. I turned it into a pretty great sandwich.

Heart is quite different from other offal, in that it is much more meaty. And in this case it had a distinct lamb-y taste.  It is also a quite bloody meat and I found I only needed small amounts to feel full. Anyway, as Andrew Zimmern would say, if it looks good, eat it. And this sandwich did look good!

Hearty sandwich

Yield: 2 Sandwiches

Hearty sandwich

• 1 lamb heart
  • 2 zucchini
  • 1 lemon or lime
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 2 bread rolls
  • pepper

1. Start by marinating the meat. Prepare the marinade using the juices and grated zest of the lemon, the minced garlic clove, 1 spoon of oil and a pinch of salt. Thinly slice the heart and put it in the marinade and let rest for 1/2 an hour and up to 24 hours.
  2. Prepare the zucchini by slicing it and sauteing it with the remaining oil until soft and completely cooked. Season with salt and pepper.
  3. Warm up a griddle on the stove until piping hot. Grill the bread to make it toasty. Grill the heart slices for a couple of minutes on each side. Season with salt and pepper.
  4. Assemble the sandwich and enjoy piping hot.

This entry was posted in Entrée, Lamb, venison and other meats and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to A hearty sandwich

1. Sara P says:

I never get why people (espeially ones who eat and are fans of meat) stress so much about eating certain bits of it, that looks amazing!

2. you’ve brought back fond memories of eating beef heart anticuchos(similar to sheesh kebabs) while travelling though peru a few years back. good memories. your sandwich looks great!

3. missymaki says:

Okay, I could never get my husband to eat heart but this was a really cool post!

4. You ALMOST have me convinced to try it. My husband is a great fan of pretty much EVERYTHING meat, I didn’t grow up like that and over the years have learned to love some, but I have never warmed up to anything like this easily. I’ll have to show this to him, though, he’ll be all over it. :)

Lamb heart! count me in, I love offal in fact one of the best ones I tried was a Spanish dish called Lengua Estofado, I think you know what it means.

6. Maureen says:

What an amazing sandwich! I would never have thought of making a heart sandwich and it looks devine!

and yes, you can have a colcannon croquette anytime. They’re in the freezer waiting for you to visit Australia, okay? don’t wait too long, I have no self control :)

7. Kiri W. says:

Oh my, this looks to die for! I have had other hearts before, which were all delicious, and would be intrigued to cook with lamb’s heart.

8. Alda e Mariella says:

Questi sandwich sono troppo golosi, impossibile resistere, bravissima!
    Un abbraccio!

9. Wow, heart! This is something I have never tasted before. I am up for anything so I would definitely try it if it was given to me in this sandwich, look great :)

It was a first for me too. I tried it alone and immediately decided it would go great on a bed of sweet zucchini. And it did! It definitely surprised me!

10. My husband and I love watching Andrew Zimmern too. And I love heart: when we eat rodizio I always wait for them to come around with the chicken heart skewers, but unfortunately they don’t always!

11. Alida says:

Simply mouthwatering. I love this! Brava!

12. Natalia says:

Viene voglia di addentare il computer. Davvero buono.

13. I used to go to a brazilian grill that served lamb heart and I loved it.

Now to find a place to get lamb heart…cause this looks AMAZING!

14. That looks really good! I had heart once but it was a bit too chewy for me so I wasn’t really taken by it. But this looks much better!

15. Christine says:

I love a good sandwich. I have a sandwich at lease once a week, especially in the summer. Your sandwich looks great.