Polenta gnocchi with savoy cabbage and cheese

Yesterday I had to make use of some of my leftover polenta from my dinner with friends. Now there are a lot of things you can do with leftover polenta, that mainly involve baking it with some sort of meat sauce or grilling it with cheese, but I wanted something different.

Scouting the web, i found a very interesting recipe for polenta gnocchi. I was sold.

Polenta gnocchi are made mixing leftover polenta with egg and flour and then cooking and using them as gnocchi. I had never heard of them despite coming from the town of polenta. Well they were great.

I decided to add buckwheat flour to give it a more rustic feel and the final result reminded me of the traditional pizzoccheri. They were a great way of using polenta in an unusual way and they are a perfect dish for a cold winter day.

Polenta gnocchi with savoy cabbage and cheese

Polenta gnocchi with savoy cabbage and cheese

• 1/2 lb cooked polenta
  • 1 egg
  • 1/3 cup buckwheat flour
  • 1/2 small savoy cabbage
  • 1/2 cup diced melting cheese like fontina
  • 1+1 tbsp butter
  • 1 clove garlic
  • sage

1. Put the cold precooked polenta in a mixer and blend it with the egg until creamy.
  2. Add the buckwheat flour. You will need more or less 1/3 of a cup, but a lot depends on how sticky your polenta. Add enough flour to get a soft dough that doesn't stick to your hand.
  3. Form the gnocchi on a floured surface by rolling out the dough in long logs, more or less as thick as a thumb and then cut them in gnocchi. If you want the gnocchi to look super nice, roll them on a fork to give them the characteristic stripes (I never do). Place the gnocchi in the fridge while you prepare the sauce.
  4. Cut the savoy cabbage in stripes, wash it and stew it with a bit of water until wilted. Drain it and sautee it with 1 spoon butter and salt until cooked.
  5. Prepare the cheese by dicing it and the rest of the butter by melting it with the sage and the garlic.
  6. Cook the gnocchi in salted boiling water in batches. Throw 10-20 gnocchi in the pot of boiling water and fish them out once they start floating. Drain them and add them to a bowl. Dress with cheese, cabbage and butter and keep layering the ingredients in the bowl until you run out.
  7. Do not mix the gnocchi in the bowl, as they are rather soft and would break. If the cheese didn't melt much, you can microwave the bowl for a couple of minutes.
  8. Serve piping hot.

Gnocchi

This entry was posted in Pasta, Primi, Vegetarian and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Polenta gnocchi with savoy cabbage and cheese

1. Federica says:

ciao!!!grazie 1000 dei tuoi commenti!!!ricambio con piacere!!hai un bellissimo blog!!!ti seguo!!! a presto ciao!

2. stephchows says:

This sounds delicious! Just so you know the link from foodbuzz has your URL wrong, you are missing the W in west!

3. Nathania Reign says:

I have never taste this Polenta Gnocchi with Savoy and Cheese and looking at these pictures makes me think that this is savory indeed! I will try to follow this recipe. Hope I can make this properly… Thanks for sharing the recipe.

4. Tiffany says:

My mouth is watering!

5. Amazing!!!! This would be huge hit in my house! What a great recipe..very very delicious!
    Thank you for sharing dear and have a wonderful week!

It sounds interesting like you had said, I never tried polenta in gnocchis yet. But I know polenta is good with cheese the best polenta I had was a deep fried topped with parmesan and its lip smacking good. I will keep this in mind so if I had polentas, will make some gnocchis out of it.

7. Mark says:

Hi, I just came to your blog via twitter. Your recipes look fantastic. Cabbage and cheese, gnocchi made from polenta. Tuesdays combinations I would never have thought of, and can’t wait to try.

8. OMG, this looked SO good, i wanted cabbage as soon as i saw it! well done!

9. Assunta says:

Complimenti, in cucina sei sempre molto fantasiosa!! :-)
    Questo piatto dev’essere veramente molto gustoso!

10. Maureen says:

I have eaten polenta gnocchi only once and it was really nice. It wasn’t served with cabbage and cheese though. This looks really good.

11. Claudia says:

Polenta is one of those things I make extra of – so I can have leftovers. Loving every bit of this!

12. Gio says:

che invitante questo piatto! mi ha messo una fame….

13. Oh yum! I’ve never heard of polenta gnocchi but it’s such a great idea! Looks fabulous.

14. Chiara says:

la ricetta ideale per questi giorni glaciali, molto confortevole! buon we….

15. Dewi says:

This is perfect combo in my opinion. Cabbage is one of my favorite vegetable.

16. Ely says:

Che favola sono appetitosissimi e poi noi siamo nella zona dei pizzocheri e della polenta di grano saraceno se riesco a tradurla bene li provo! Baci e grazie delle tue visite mi fanno molto piacere :-)

17. Ramona says:

I have been wanting to try polenta for a while now… this looks absolutely amazing. I love the savoy cabbage…. really great addition. :)

18. What a delicious looking gnocchi using polenta! I love cabbage too, this sounds really delicious! Have a great weekend Paola!

19. Buckwheat flour is a lovely addition here and I am such a fan of polenta that these little pillows look and sound very appetising indeed!

Mmmmmmmm AMAZING! I had never heard of making gnocchi with polenta either! But they look delicious and I know I would LOVE them… just as much as I love pizzoccheri!!! :-)))) I just wish I could find that kind of buckwheat flour here… the only one I find is ground very thin… :-(

21. Cucina49 says:

I am new to reading your blog, but am loving your recipes. I have never heard of making gnocchi with polenta, but am bookmarking this to try it. Buzzed!

22. Kiri W. says:

Wow! This looks amazing! I love that you sue buckwheat flour and polenta, and gnocchi are my all-time favorite Italian savory dish. :) And since I am a cabbage addict, this is about my perfect meal!

23. Alida says:

Molto interessante. I have never made this and as I am a big polenta eater I will try it soon! Looks delicious!

24. Daniela says:

Che buoni questi gnocchi di polenta, ideali per una giornata fredda e ventosa come quella odierna. Un abbracccio Daniela.