Red cabbage quiche

Today I am going to propose a simple quiche. I had a lot of leftover cabbage and I had it for like 3 meals in a row before deciding I had to do something different with it. So I decided to transform it into a quiche.

I usually do quiche crust using butter and water, but I had seen on some websites people doing the dough with oil and white wine so I decided to give it a try.  And it turned out awesome! I could have eaten the crust alone. There is something in the wine that gives the crust a great taste.

The filling was just leftover cabbage. I wrote down my recipe, but you can use your leftover vegetables if you have some lying around.

Red cabbage quiche

• 2 bay leaves
  • 1 pinch caraway seeds
  • 1/4 cup vinegar
  • oil
  • 2 oz. diced cheese

For the filling:
  1. Start by braising the cabbage. Clean the cabbage by discarding the outer leaves and eliminating the core. Slice it thinly and wash it. In a pot, warm up a bit of oil and add in the sliced apple and onion. Let them cook until soft.
  2. Add the cabbage, the bay leaves, the caraway seeds, salt and about 1/2 cup of water. Cover the pot and let the cabbage wilt down for about 10 minutes. When the cabbage has softened up stir it well and add the vinegar. Let the cabbage braise for another 20 minutes or until completely cooked, stirring frequently and adding more water if needed.
  3. When cooked throughout, check seasoning and add salt or vinegar and let the cabbage cool down.
  4. For the crust:
  5. Quickly mix the ingredients adding the wine slowly. You should obtain a soft pliable dough. If needed add a bit more flour or a bit more wine.
  6. Once the dough is well mixed, wrap it in plastic and pot it to rest in the fridge for half hour.
  7. Roll out the dough in a disk, put it in a cake pan and cover with the cooled down cabbage. Add the diced cheese on top and cook in a 380F oven for about 45 minutes.
  8. You can enjoy the quiche both hot or cold.

This entry was posted in Appetizer, Quiche, Vegetarian and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

38 Responses to Red cabbage quiche

1. Jo says:

I have a head of red cabbage sitting in my fridge right now, this is going on the menu!

2. Estelle says:

Typed red cabbage quiche into search engine and wasn’t too hopeful ….but delighted to find this.

Just making it now- it’s in the oven. Tasted the cabbage with some cheese before baking and found it hard to stop eating – they taste great together. I’m using chunks of cheddar and parmesan- didn’t have any other cheese in the house but think this will all work out GOOD! Am cooking it for someone who doesn’t drink alcohol so had to relent on the wine pastry unfortunately and replace with thyme and parmesan pastry instead. Such sacrifices! The hardship! Yum, thanks alot for this.

Hope it will turn out great! Let me know how it goes!

• Estelle says:

It turned out amazingly! Beautiful. Much deeper, juicer flavours than red onion tart, which I usually make. This will be making a regular reappearances in our household and have passed your recipe on to my friend supercook Jo who has 2 spare red cabbages sitting in her fridge …. x thank you

I’m glad you enjoyed it! And thanks for sending Jo here!

3. Besides HAVING to try this new crust now, I think the filling sounds awesome too. My mom makes red cabbage with apples and onion for Christmas, so it sounds very festive and a great way to use up those leftovers next Christmas…but can of course not wait 10 months!

4. Gio says:

quesat sì che è una grande idea per una quiche! brava!

5. Alda e Mariella says:

Questa quiche è davvero fantastica, la voglio fare presto!
    Un abbraccio!

6. wine and red cabbage? it must be heavenly delicious =)

I never tried red cabbages on quiche, it definitely gave a good color on that quiche

8. I have never heard of putting wine in a pie crust but it sounds just brilliant! I bet it’s amazing, especially with quiche. And my husband adores red cabbage (he eats a red cabbage salad every day, I kid you not) so we always have lots around and I am often looking for other ways to use it. Great recipe!

9. Such a beautiful and original quiche! The crust sounds really amazing with white wine.

10. Kore says:

I can almost smell it from that picture, it looks amazing. Our kitchen is been refitted and its taking longer than we thought, when its back functioning i will be all over things like this!

11. Cucina49 says:

Ooh, oil and white wine crust–nice variation. This looks like a terrific vegetarian entree.

12. I run hot and cold with cabbage. Cold mostly because I just sort of forget about it and then hot after I buy some and wonder why I don’t do it more often. Hot slaw is my favorite dish with cabbage so add that to loving quiche and how could I lose with this?

13. I read the title and was, like, quiche with WHAT? That is SO creative – I’ve had quiche with all sorts of veggies, but not with RED CABBAGE! I love experimental recipes like this, and the crust variation sounds really intriguing!

14. that looks delicious, your crust looks fantastic. I have a bad luck to make crust before, so before trying another way to make a crust like yours, maybe I have to master it in a regular recipe first.

cheers

15. Apple and red cabbage in there? Wow that sounds really tasty! But I like your suggestion of using leftover veggies (anything). Very economical and delicious recipe!

16. Kim Bee says:

I think my hubby would go crazy for this recipe.

17. A quiche crust made with white wine?! Yes, please! That sounds amazing.

18. I love this recipe! Red cabbage is so good with apples, and what a wondeful use for it putting it in quiche! It sounds delicious :)!

19. A great idea to use leftover cabbage! I love a good quiche and this looks like a great one!

20. Loldri says:

This looks amazing, I am going to try making something similat for my sisters birthday net weekend

21. Natalia says:

Adoro le quiche. Ne mangerei di ogni tipo e la tua ha proprio un bellisimo e goloso aspetto.
    CIao.

22. Elena says:

si presenta molto bene, ha ingredienti buoni.. sarà uno spettacolo!

23. Kiri W. says:

I love this – how creative! I’d never think to use cabbage in a quiche, and I LOVE both quiche and red cabbage. Wonderful recipe :)

24. Alida says:

Very interesting about the wine in the dough. I will try that. I like these vegetable quiche. Something new to try. Ciao!

25. Dara says:

Wow. First, this is gorgeous and looks super delicious. Second, wine in crust? How have I not heard of this. Brilliant!

26. Daniela says:

Favolosa questa quiche con il cavolo rosso, segno la ricetta e la voglio provare al piu’ presto. Un abbraccio Daniela.

27. How wonderful! Nice contrast to the crust this red cabbage.