The best burger bun

We have all been guilty of using less than delicious hamburger buns and who can really blame us, who has the time to bake buns?? But let me tell you: try these buns and you will be hooked! They are delicious! I took them from a great Italian blog by arabafelice and I did very little to change the recipe. I reduced the yeast and left out the egg from the dough. The first was a conscious change to make the bread lighter, although that means you will have to let it raise longer, the second I just made by mistake.

Even with the changes, the buns turned out great! They worked perfect as burger buns and doubled as a great bread roll for nutella and jam. And no chemicals in there! I suggest you try making some for your next barbecue! Your guests will be delighted!

And in this post I will also take the chance for thanking a couple of people for passing me awards. On some I am ages late and I ask for forgiveness…. Read to the end to see who has honored me with some fabulous awards.

The best burger bun

Yield: 8-10 buns

The best burger bun

• 1lb bread flour
  • 1.5 oz sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp activated dry yeast
  • 3/4 cups warm water
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • sesame seeds
  • 1 egg

1. Mix all the ingredients except for the egg and the sesame and knead until smooth.
  2. Put in a bowl, cover it with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled in volume. It took about 6 hours for me, but a lot depend on how warm your kitchen is. If you want to cut down the proofing time, double the yeast or place in the oven with the oven light on.
  3. Shape into buns, cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise for another hour. Depending on the size of the buns you will get 8-10 buns.
  4. Turn on the oven to 415F. Brush the buns with the egg and cover with sesame seeds. When the oven is warm, place the buns in the oven and cook for about 10 minutes at 415F, then turn the oven down to 385F and let cook until the buns are golden brown, about 10 more minutes.
  5. Take out of the oven and let cool on a cooling rack.
  6. Serving suggestions:
  7. I used the buns for a delicious burger made with a patty made with ground beef mixed chopped olives and chopped sundried tomatoes and dressed with ajvar, a slice of roasted eggplant and feta.
  8. They are also delicious with nutella or jam. Actually I whink the dough would make a great base for chocolate chip bread rolls.

And onto the awards.

For the Versatile Blogger Award I want to thank

Carrie and Becy at Chicago Food Sister
and Dara at Generation Y Foodie

And for the Liebster Award I want to thank

Alida at My Italian Kitchen
Kayle at The Cooking Actress
Sofie at The German Foodie

I am super late on the thanks (like months late) so let me at least pass the Liebster Award to: Carrie and Becky at Chicago Food Sister  and Dara at Generation Y Foodie and the Versatile Blogger Award to Alida at My Italian Kitchen, Kyle at The Cooking Actress, and Sofie at The German Foodie for still being great supporter of my site, despite my slowness in showing my gratitude.

And since I’m breaking all the rules, I am passing both awards to 3 new friends:
Kiri at Healthy Foodie Travels

Keane at Food Stoned
Matt at Thyme in Our Kitchen

and 3 far friends:
Fiona at Nuts about Food
Gio at Symposion
Magda at My Little Expat Kitchen

Stop by these great websites and say hi for me!

This entry was posted in Almost vegan, Award, Bread, Vegetarian and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

46 Responses to The best burger bun

1. LLoyd Lloyd says:

Hi there! Thank you for the wonderful post!!! I will bookmark your site and will be back soon. :)

2. Pingback: Happy Easter! And bread rolls. | An Italian cooking in the Midwest

3. Keane says:

Thank you so much for the kind recognition! That’s really awesome. Also, those buns look AMAZING!

I am convinced! I will try those buns out

5. arabafelice says:

Thanks :-) per averli provati!
    Un saluto dall’Arabia :-)

6. Tiffany says:

You’ve inspired me to make my own buns!

7. Gio says:

grazie infinite!!!!
    ottimi i buns, ora con i lievitati ci vado anozze :)
    buon we!

8. Those buns are so beautiful! They are the best just to look at them. Saving the recipe! Congratulations on all your awards! Happy weekend!

9. Paula says:

I have been super busy with a lot of things and with getting ready to go on a month long trip to my home-country, so I feel as if my year is really going to start in May when I am back in Minnesota. I want my “new year resolution” to be baking my own breads at home and I will be using some of your recipes! I want to try this one and the crusty bread for sure! It has been too long since I baked bread!

10. Alida says:

Thank you so much for the award! It is nice when someone thinks of you.
    Your buns here look excellent. Well done!
    Even if you don’t have much time to blog you are still a much loved one! It is not always easy to find the time XX

11. Alida says:

Thank you so much for the award. It is always so nice when someone thinks of you!
    Your buns here look amazing. Well done! XX

12. Those buns look amazing and the burgers are to die for with the juicy meat patties in the center. Congratulations on your awards and thank you so much for thinking of me. I am honored. Yes, we are indeed “near”. ;)

13. Oooh these burger buns look so good! I’ve pinned them to remind myself to make them soon. Congrats on the well-deserved awards!!

14. Thank you so much for including me!
    These burger buns are bakery-perfect.

15. Those buns sure look tempting, and nothing beats homemade..Pola they are perfect!
    Congrats on all the awards and thank you sweetie so much for thinking of me! I appreciate you and this award very much!!!xoxo

16. Cooking Lady says:

These buns look so good, and they seem very easy to make. Congrats on all your awards

17. What a perfect way to make a burger really special! These look really great!

18. ping says:

That’s a good looking burger! I’ve also recently found myself a good burger bun recipe and am so happy.
    Now that you said this is the best, maybe I should give this a try too :)

19. Oh wow these buns are perfect Paola!! By the way, I want the whole set of meat + roasted eggplant for the burger. The thought of it killing me… at this late hour… seriously that burger looks really, really good. I put roasted eggplant on sandwich but not on burger. I absolutely love it (sorry I keep going on… I think I’m so hungry and this burger just got me).

Congrats on the awards, and thanks for passing the award to me. I know, we are old friend Paula!!!! I can’t believe how long we’ve been friend. Thanks for always being there! I’m so happy we know each other. Biggggg hug!

20. Thank you Pola for the award, it is always an honor. Love those buns and the pictures with the burgers…

21. Congratulations and aww, thanks for passing them on to me. You’re really kind.

Now about these buns. I always make recipes that people name “best” because they wouldn’t put their reputation on the line for less than best. So burger night is going to be at my house tomorrow! I’d do them tonight but I have dinner organized already. :) They look great.

22. Ramona says:

Congratulations on all the awards. :) These buns look wonderful. I think I may not even need the burger… just a little butter. :)

23. Kiri W. says:

Thank you so much! :)

And the buns look fantastic – I Hate the soft bagged buns, so I’d go through the effort of making these any day!

24. Awww how perfect to be on a burger bun post! You are so very deserving, and don’t worry about it taking a bit! We’re all busy! Lol Kyle–I haven’t been called that since high school. No worries, a common mistake. My mom stuck me with a very weirdly spelled name

25. Aw, you’re so sweet! Don’t worry about being strapped for time – I AM STRAPPED FOR TIME, and I don’t even have the excuse of a 9 – 5 job or an infant or something. I just have a habit of filling my day w/ too much, and that’s all my fault. Thank you for starting the blogger group, it’s been great already and we have barely begun! XOXO