Lentils and rice

Today I’m posting a simple recipe for when you want something wholesome. It’s a simple rice and lentils dish, made interesting by the addition of a bit of Indian ginger and garlic paste. It is perfect for a quick dinner or a lunch the day after a big dinner party.

I also added kombu weed to the dish. Kombu weed helps digestion, in particular helps with the digestion of legumes. And it really works. An inch or so in a pot of legumes is enough to enjoy your beans without unpleasant side effects.

Lentils and rice

Lentils and rice

• 1/4 cup lentils
  • 1/4 cup rice (I used jasmine rice, but any rice will do)
  • 1 tbsp ginger and garlic paste
  • 1 inch kombu

1. In a pot bring about 2 cups water to a boil. Add in the lentils and the kombu and let cook for about 10 minutes. Add the rice and keep cooking.
  2. Stir in the ginger and garlic paste and keep cooking until both the rice and the lentils are very soft and the water has almost all evaporated. It will take another 20 minutes or so.
  3. The kombu weed serves as a flavoring agent, but it also makes legumes more easy to digest helping with the bloating sometimes caused by legumes.

This entry was posted in Primi, Risotto, Soup, Vegan, Vegetarian and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to Lentils and rice

1. Zinedine says:

So simple yet so good! maybe tomorrow. Today we have pasta faggioli!!!

2. Mary says:

Gotta love lentils with rice…a source of complete protein!

3. suzy eats says:

this looks great. i love lentils and i never thought to add kumba. thanks for sharing!

4. I love the simplicity of this mourishing dish. Great tip about using Kombu. I will be sure to try this next time :)

5. Federica says:

piatto ricco mi ci ficco!!mi piace!baci!

6. Daniela says:

Ottima conbinazione il riso con le lenticchie. il profumo del riso Jasmine dona un tocco particolare alla ricetta . Complimenti. Un abbraccio, buona settimana Daniela.

7. Daniela says:

Ottima conbinazione il riso con le lenticchie. il profumo del riso Jasmine dona un tocco particolare alla ricetta . Un abbraccio, buona settimana Daniela.

8. Chiara says:

che grande idea abbinare le lenticchie al riso, non ci avevo mai pensato! passa una felice settimana, un abbraccio….

io devo averlo visto fatto tipo minestra su qualche rivista di cucina. un giorno che avevo voglia di un piatto semplice ho ripetuto ispirandomi liberamente e ne e’ venuta un’ottima alternativa al riso bollito semplice

9. Gourmantine says:

This sounds so simple, but I the spices should really liven it up! Very interesting recipe :)

This is right up my alley! I love simple dishes and pasta e lenticchie was my very favorite pasta when I was a kid. I never heard of kombu… I’ll have to look for it.

11. I love lentils and rice together, and I am loving your simple but delicious dish! Great tip about the kombu.

sometimes i feel as food bloggers we end up cooking and eating only complicated food, so i like to break it up occasionally and do something really simple

12. I just had some rice and beans for the supper. Love yours too.

thanks! Lentils are faster to cook than beens and don’t really require soaking, so I usually end up cooking those when i decide on legumes last minutes, i.e. most of the times i decide to go for some legume dish

13. Vijitha says:

Lentils and rice are two staple ingredients in Indian cooking. The addition of the weeds sounds healthy and the recipes is simple and easy to fix even on a week night.

14. Interesting combination..and I think my fam will like it! Great recipe and lovely photos Pola!

thanks! i especially appreciate comments on pics from you! My photographic skills still need much improvement while your pics are always so good!

15. Alda e Mariella says:

Mi piace molto il riso con le lenticchie, il tuo sembra squisito, complimenti!
    Un abbraccio e buon fine settimana!

16. Dewi says:

A classic favorite combo. Never really posting something like this, but you just give me an idea. Thank you!

sometimes even blogger deserve a simple and classic dish, so why not post it? and there are always new tricks to learn also for old dishes!

17. This sounds wonderful – I think that garlic-ginger paste is one of the best kept secrets! And thanks for the tip about the kombu weed!

18. Dara says:

Great recipe, I love lentils sooo much! They are so healthy and filling. Happy Friday.

19. Kiri W. says:

What a lovely, simple and wholesome dish! :) It’s been to long since I’ve had kombu…

20. Natalia says:

Mangio molto le lenticchie e mi piace questa ricetta.

21. I did not know about kombu weed, very interesting. What is more comforting than rice and legumes?

22. I love lentils and rice and this is great that it’s so simple yet healthy! :D

23. Alida says:

I like this. I make something like that too. Very healthy dish and nutricious.

24. Rachel says:

Dishes like this are my favorite quick dinners! Living on the boat, I often made brown rice and either lentils or black-eyed peas in the pressure cooker. Add some veggies and it was a meal!
    The flavors you added to your lentils+rice sound heavenly! I’ll have to try kombu with beans.

25. I was thinking about lentil yesterday, just wanted something very simple and very easy. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I ended up making pasta with a very hot sauce though.