Rice noodles with zucchini and chayote

Did I already say that I am busy lately? Well this week BF is away for work and that business has taken a whole new meaning. You see when BF is around I try to stick to a reasonable schedule and pick up dirty dishes and abandoned pieces of clothing at least once in a while. Not because he forces me to, but because I try to be a decent person and respect some basic rules of cohabitation. Well he left on Friday.

Since then I haven’t touched a single dish, I’ve stayed at the office until 10pm once and until 2am another time (the 3rd day I came home early and did nothing for the rest of the evening), I’ve not cooked once and I’ve eaten standing in front of the fridge and picking at pickles, cured meats and crackers. In other word I’ve been on a vacation from all sorts of social conventions. Now that made me more productive at work, which is good, but I think I will be ready to return to civilized living when he comes back in a couple of days. I start to feel a bit like a slob…

But fear not. The recipe I am proposing today is not made of pickles, cured ham and crackers, but of wholesome rice noodles and healthy raw vegetables. It is a vaguely Asian inspired recipe that works great for the warmer months.

The reason I say vaguely is that I am using at least two very Asian ingredients: rice noodles and chayote, but as usual I prepared them in a very Italian way. I used raw zucchini and chayote and added feta. Not the typical way of doing things out East (or is it West from here?). Anyway, this is a very simple dish that does not require any real cooking. It is just s matter of thinly slicing vegetables and combining them with a bright lemon, mint and cilantro dressing. The result is a very bright dish with crunchy chayote, tender zucchini and velvety noodles.

Rice noodles with zucchini and chayote

Rice noodles with zucchini and chayote

• 7 oz. flat rice noodles
  • 2 small zucchini
  • 1 chayote
  • 1 bunch cilantro
  • 1 bunch mint
  • 1 lemon
  • 2 oz. feta
  • oil
  • white vinegar
  • pepper
  • sesame seeds

1. Cook the noodles according to the package instructions. I cooked mine like pasta and boiled them in hot water until they were soft but not mushy. Drain them and set aside to cool down.
  2. In a bowl place the thinly sliced zucchini and chayote. Add the juice of the lemon, a spoon of oil and the herbs minced. Add the vinegar and salt and pepper to taste. Mix well and let rest for q while to let the vegetables marinate in the juices.
  3. Right before serving mix the noodles with the vegetables and add the crumbled feta.
  4. Top with toasted sesame seeds or even better with copped peanuts.

I am sharing this recipe with the PastaLove bloghop! Check out other great pasta dishes!

This entry was posted in Almost vegan, Pasta, Primi, Salad, Vegetarian and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

37 Responses to Rice noodles with zucchini and chayote

1. I have been checking out many of your articles and it’s pretty nice stuff. I will definitely bookmark your blog.

2. I have recently discovered chayote and I think this would be a brilliant way to eat it. All those herbs and the lemon makes this sound delicious and tangy to me. Thanks for the inspiration.

3. Georgie says:

I’m loving this recipe! It’s making me hungry for some right about now!

4. tigerfish says:

Indeed, this will be good for the warmer months. Thanks for the inspiration.

5. P.S. So glad you use ziplist! I wish more blogs did!

6. Mmmm! I’ve been on the lookout for really simple meals with this baby on the way. Can’t wait to try this this summer when zucchini comes into season…any suggestions for a chayote substitute? Not sure I’ve ever seen one of these….

7. i love how fresh and simple this pasta dish it! rice noodles are delish and i love how they are naturally glutenfree. hehe i tend to eat standing up too~ :)

8. What a great fresh summer pasta dish! I love the combination of flavors here. Welcome to #pastalove!

9. What delicious flavors and ingredients in your pasta dish! I’ve never cooked with chayote before, but I’d love to try this dish out. Happy to celebrate #pastalove with you this month :-)

10. Suzanne says:

What a different recipe for a mid-west living Italian girl :) but the zuchinni and feta gave you away. I too enjoy when hubby goes out of town and I eat 5 bowls of cereal during a 2 day absence because I’m to lazy to cook or actually clean up. xoxox #pastalove
    Chao

11. Pippi says:

non conoscevo il cahyote e credo che non si trovi qui…in Italia …almeno non a Massa.. però mi piace questo modo di cucinare italiano con ingredienti esotici…brava davvero!!!!

un bacetto
    Pippi

12. Ottimo primo piatto, veramente molto gustoso, complimenti!
    Un abbraccio!

13. Lora @cakeduchess says:

I never would have thought of using chayote with noodles. Love the inspiration and it’s wonderful for #pastalove month:)

14. I never cooked with chayote but this looks wonderful, you have me intrigued!

15. Love this – it’s really creative. I’ve never had chayote. I followed most of the italian in an above post, and had no idea of its flavor or texture until I read it. The flavor is something between zucchini and apple? Really interesting! I see it in our stores a lot, and want to experiment a bit with it. What flavors do you pair with it? Thanks for such an interesting post!!! Sending you lots of #pastalove!

I love it raw and paired with some kind of acidic vinaigrette made with lots of lemon and sporting a fresh note like mint or cilantro. Yep I would define the taste as between a zucchini and an apple and the texture closer to that of a pear.

16. This is so unique – we don’t often see chayote out here (East coast) but I’ll need to look for it and try it in this dish because I love anything pasta.

Don’t worry if you don’t find chayote you can just use the rest of the ingredients! It should be good anyway! And thanks for stopping by!

Interesting, we never used chayote in rice noodles we usually use it only on stir fries and soup. Got to try this out specially right now we have heaps of them

I find chayotes are much better raw. Thinly sliced and dressed with an acidic vinaigrette. Give it a try and let me know what you think!

18. I LOVE that you incorporated Asian ingredients to your pastalove dish. I also did a little similar with my “Filipino Spaghetti”, and I’m embarassed to admit that for the longest time Filipino Spaghetti was the only kind of spaghetti I knew, and not the Italian original. Anyway, thank you for this dish. I shall give it a try soon.

19. Ely says:

Che fortuna però abitare li, tanti ingredienti nuovi e diversi che qui non si trovano, mi piacciono queste tagliatelle di riso, qui si trovano a malapena gli spaghetti e cos’è il chayote? A cosa assomiglia? Davvero una ricetta insolita ma gustosa! Baci

Il chayote e’ della famiglia delle zucchine. Ha un sapore a meta’ tra la zucchina e la mela e una consistenza vicino alle pere un po’ acerbe. Cmq si trovano tanti ingredienti esotici ma i nostri base sono un po’ carenti…

20. This is a lovely looking dish and definitely not of the slob variety! :D

21. I lol’d about not touching a dish and eating in front of the fridge. The only reason I don’t do that is the time it would take to *finally* clean it up enough so I could take a photograph.

This is a lovely culture clash of ingredients. I bet it tasted great!

Well if you are very careful you can eat out of the fridge without using a single dish. Hence by the end of the week the mess will be exactly the same as the beginning ;)

22. I have never used chayote, but will look out for it now.

23. I’ve never heard of chayote before… let me check on my dictionary. =D Okay, I still don’t know what that is. I saw some images on google but still don’t know this ingredients! Thanks for introducing. I love your version – I rarely use rice noodle although I like some of the dishes that use rice noodles. When my husband is not home, I get lazy to make dinners but since I have kids I usually make something quick. =P

24. Tiffany says:

I just had chayote for the first time a couple of months ago. Fell. In. Love! :D

25. Kiri W. says:

Wow, what an interesting variation on traditional chayote recipes. This looks amazing, I’d love a bowl for dinner!

26. federica says:

che bel piatto invitante!!!baci!

27. Dara says:

This is a great East/West recipe! I adore rice noodles – they are so versatile and yummy.