BF is back and I have started cooking again. And this is what I cooked him for the day he came back. For some reason, in my family quiche is a typical return day meal. When someone from my family is flying back to Italy after a trip abroad, quiche is almost always on the table. Especially if we are getting in from another time zone.
I think it is a very smart choice. Quiche can be prepared in advance, so mom can come and pick long lost children up at the airport and feed them as soon as they are through the door. Also quiche can be a meal or a snack, a lunch or a dinner, light and wholesome so no matter what time it is when you actually get home and what time your stomach thinks it is because of the jetlag, you can always enjoy a slice of quiche. Hence, I made quiche for BF return.
And it turned out great, if I might say so myself. The secret was in the crust. Read on to discover what the secret ingredient was.
Roasted vegetables quiche
- 7 oz. flour
- 3.5 oz. butter
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp black olive paste
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 red pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- 2 tbsp pesto
- 2 oz. feta
- olive oil
- In a food processor combine all the dough ingredients except for the water. Pulse until you get dough crumbles and then start adding the water. Keep pulsing and adding water until the dough comes together in a ball.
- Place the dough between two plastic wrap sheets and roll it out. Place the dough in an oven dish.
- Slice the eggplant and roast it in a 400F oven together with the whole peppers. Take the vegetables out when they are cooked (takes about 10 minutes for eggplant, 20 for peppers).
- Place the peppers in a paper bag and let them cool down. Dress the eggplant with a bit of olive oil.
- When cool enough to handle, skin the peppers and cut them in slices.
- Spread the pesto on top of the dough and arrange the vegetables in concentric circles over the pesto. Sprinkle the crumbled feta on top of the vegetables.
- Place the quiche in a 375F oven for about 40 minutes or until the dough is cooked.
- Serve warm or cold with a side of salad.