#WorldOnAPlate: grilling

And we get to the third round of world on a plate. For those of you that missed the first two rounds, World on a Plate is a monthly blogging event at which bloggers from around the world get together and share a typical recipe from their home country. Today, in honor of Memorial day we are doing grilling.

I am so curious to see what will happen for grilling! What do people grill in other countries? Are they grilling meat or fish or vegetables? Are they smothering everything in sauces or are they keeping it simple? Well Anna is going to tell us about Australia, Biren about Malaysia, Ewa about Sweden, Katerina about Greece, Katherine about the US, Hyosun about Korea, Raymund about the Philippines, Suchi about Northerm India and Vijitha about Southern India and I am telling you about Italy.

In Italy we keep it simple. No sauces. In the north part of Italy, we grill mostly meat. With a preference for cotechini (sausages), costine (ribs) and spiedini (kebabs).  Cotechini are small sausages very similar to bratwurst that are usually cut in half and roasted so that the fats drips away and the sausage becomes super flavorful. Costine are single ribs cut into 3 or 4 pieces and then simply put on the grill to roast until the meat pulls away from the bone. And spiedini are just skewers with vegetables and meat.

Now all of this is grilled with just a touch of salt and sometimes it is brushed with olive oil. My dad used to use a rosemary branch as a brush to spread garlic infused olive oil on the meat so that the the oil would have some extra flavor. But that is about as complicated as it gets!

Of course the secret is then to have great, fresh ingredients and to grill on charcoal to maximize the smoky flavor.

Oh and then there are the sides. Roasted peppers, eggplants and zucchini marinated in oil and garlic in the summer, polenta in the fall when it starts being chilly (at least in my city).

Kebabs

Yield: ~15 kebabs

Kebabs

• 4 chicken thights
  • 1 new york strip loin steak
  • 5 bratwurst
  • 3 zucchini
  • 1 red pepper
  • 1 yellow pepper

1. Trim the fat from the BY strip.
  2. Cut the meat into cubes, slice the zucchini and the sausages, cut the peppers in squares.
  3. Skewer the ingredients alternating meat and vegetables. I usually do 2 slices of sausage, 1 beef cube and 1 chicken cube alternated with 3-4 squares of pepper and 2-3 zucchini for each skewer.
  4. Grill on medium/high heat to desired doneness.

This entry was posted in Beef, Chicken and Rabbit, Entrée, Pork, Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to #WorldOnAPlate: grilling

1. Hyosun Ro says:

Oh great to learn kebabs are made simple in Italy. Great idea with a mix of meat on a skewer as well!

2. Yeah, I know I missed out. I WAS grilling, tho! These look fabulous!

Believe it or not, I’ve never done kebobs. Not sure why… but that should change this year. I like this combination a lot!

4. Pingback: Sausages and greens and a giveaway | An Italian cooking in the Midwest

5. Looks great! Simple and delicious…

6. Those kebabs look so good! I love the idea of keeping things simple and fresh for grilling :-)

7. I love kebabs, I mean who doesn’t! Perfect idea for summer dinners, holidays, lazy Sundays…:))endless possibilities! Yours look fantastic, Pola!

8. Louie says:

You made me crave for some nice kebabs!

9. Three different types of meat in each skewer sounds really lovely. I am going to try this for my next BBQ :-)

10. These kebabs look so very appetizing and tasty.

11. Dara says:

I love these. Especially because they combine three different types of meat!

12. Ali says:

Hi Polam,

The Kebabs are just very colorful and very mouth-watering! Now I’m hungry:))

This is surely a must-try recipe! I am going to try to prepare this in our weekend family gathering.

Thanks for sharing and hopefully more recipes!!!

Ali

13. Katerina says:

These kebabs are really beautiful Paola and the veggies in between the meat pieces must have given them a very tasty touch!

14. I love grilled meat and what a fun event. I just saw Anna’s entry for Australia! :)

15. Alida says:

Mmm… this is the way to make a good barbecue. Looks delicious!

16. Delishhh says:

Love kebabs that is my go to dish during summer grilling!

17. I love the simplicity of this dish. I also love the awesome selection of meat you have there. Yummo!

Wow a lot of different meats in there! I love it

19. Chiara says:

le grigliate americane sono da sempre uno dei miei sogni culinari,c’è di tutto e di più condito con incredibili salse! Splendidi questi kebabs ! Buona settimana Pola, un bacione…

20. Vijitha says:

I love your version of kebabs. Simple and quick to fix. I can come over for a BBQ party to your place :-)