#CookedInTranslation: Tower of sweet frittatine

Today we are back with Cooked in Translation! As you might know, cooked in translation is a monthly event where we interpret a traditional dish. This month Sophie from German Foodie choose Pfannekuchen which basically is the German version of pancakes. To participate link up your own Pfannekuchen or pancake and let your friends know!

What I did was frittatine, little frittate. In Italy, very thin frittate are sometimes used as crepes. Despite the fact that frittata is usually a savory dish, its flavor is actually quite neutral so that these thin frittate can be used a bit like crepes and stuffed with your favorite ingredients.

Of course, similar to crepes, you can layer fritattine with savory ingredients, but this time I  went for something a bit more unexpeted and made a dessert out of them . I topped the fritatine with yogurt and strawberry jam and got a pretty great and fresh dessert, perfect to round up a dinner.

On a separate note, my Chicken Sausages Giveaway is still open: remember to enter!

#CookedInTranslation: Tower of sweet frittatine

#CookedInTranslation: Tower of sweet frittatine

• 2 eggs
  • honey flavored greek yogurt
  • strawberry jam
  • pepper (optional)
  • olive oil

1. Beat the eggs with salt and a pepper. I know it sounds weird, but strawberry jam is so sweet, that a bit of pepper can be a welcome contrast.
  2. Warm up a medium nonstick pan and coat it with oil. Wipe the excess oil out and pour a bit of the egg in the pan. Quickly swirl around to obtain a thin frittata.
  3. Cook for about 20 sec and flip over. After another 10-20 seconds take the frittata off the fire and onto a dish covered with paper towels to absorb the oil.
  4. Keep cooking the frittatas and pile them up on a plate.
  5. Using a round cutter (or a glass) cut out 10 frittata rounds.
  6. Assemble the tower by placing a fritatta round on the bottom, then 1 tsp jam, another frittata round, 1 tsp yogurt, another frittata, jam, fritata, yogurt, fritata and top with a dollop of yogurt and jam.
  7. You can decorate with mint leaves.

So what is your version of Pfannekuchen? Do you have a creative version of Pfannekuchen crepe or pancakes? Please link up your own take of Pfannekuchen at the bottom of this post and let us know what makes them special!

This entry was posted in Dessert, Vegetarian and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to #CookedInTranslation: Tower of sweet frittatine

1. Dewi says:

Hmmm, that looks divine! Really delicious one.

2. Kat says:

I have to try these, the combination of pepper in the frittatine and the sweetness from the jam sounds intriguing, plus pancakes are so laborious in comparison to these.

3. Interesting! No flour, just eggs and yogurt! I’d love to try this one. Kids love jams and they find all kinds of excuses to get more jams. :-) This one looks like a nice sweet snack for the kids!

4. LinsFood says:

These look fantastic! Ingenious! I love the whole Cooked in Translation concept and have sent Sofie an email, asking to join in! Looking forward to it!

5. I’ve always loved sweet jam with my omelets so this actually makes a lot of sense to me. Looks good.

6. Ramona says:

I love strawberry jam so this dessert is singing to me. :)

7. Daniela says:

Sono deliziose queste frittatine dolci, complimenti Pola. Un abbraccio, buona settimana Daniela.

8. I’ve never heart of frittatine but thank you for the introduction and I hope we’ll be come best friends soon. :)

9. Alida says:

Mmm … they look good! I have never seen these before. Take care!

10. Ciao!ti devo confessare una cosa… io non conosco l’inglese… e quindi qualche difficoltà a leggere i tuoi post ce l’ho :-( la fortuna è che le tue immagini sono così eloquenti e invitanti che non mi tolgono il piacere di conoscere la tua cucina; questo piatto ad esempio è spettacolare!

11. They look so beautifully thin and delicate! :D

12. Whenever I link up my name turns up instead of the name of the dish… don’t know why. Sorry Pola!

That looks berry delicious!

14. Chiara says:

che splendore Pola, tu è riuscita alla perfezione! buona settimana…Condivido su Google+ !

15. I have never seen or had a sweet frittatine…it looks great for the breakfast too.

I bet this tastes lovely. I’m a big fan of Greek yogurt with honey and the combination of strawberry and pepper sounds really intriguing.

17. OMG, I LOVE IT. Not only are those the cutest pancakes I have ever seen in my life, but my mouth was watering when I saw this! LECKER, LECKER, LECKER!!