Sunday pasta: Cavatelli

And this month Sunday pasta is two days late and comes on a Tuesday. I can assure you it is a pasta you can eat on Sunday even if I published it on a Tuesday.

Today I am back to south Italy and I made you cavatelli. Cavatelli are close relative to orecchiette, only they are easy to make because you don’t have to turn them around. You can serve them dressed with a hearty, meaty ragu or with a simple tomato sauce.

Now that I have been making pasta a bit more often, I also have a precious piece of advice for you: don’t add too much water to the dough! You want a play-dough like consistency. If the dough is too soft you will have troubles shaping the pasta and it will turn out too thick.

And remember to enter in my first giveaway: a sample of chicken sausages perfect for grilling is at stake!!

Sunday pasta: Cavatelli

Prep Time: 1 hour

Sunday pasta: Cavatelli

• 1/2 lb semolina flour
  • 1/4 cup warm water

1. Place the semolina on a table and create a large well in the middle of the semolina flour. Pour the warm water in the well and quickly mix in the flour. The dough will rapidly come together in a smooth and relatively tough mass. Knead the dough until all the flour has been incorporated and the dough looks smooth. Place the dough under a bowl for 10 minutes or so to rest so that the gluten can relax.
  2. While the dough is resting set up your work station. Place a large wooden board on the table, get a table knife and get a couple of cookies cooling rack that you will use for drying the pasta. If you don't have the cooling racks, you can use a couple of kitchen towels.
  3. Get a small portion, about 1/10th, of the dough and roll it into a long narrow roll, about as thick as a finger. keep the rest of the dough under the bowl. Now you are ready to start shaping the cavatelli.
  4. With a knife cut a small pea sized piece of dough. Using the knife, drag the pasta across the wooden board. The pasta will curl up creating a beautiful cavatello. If the pasta rolls up too tight use your fingers to open it a bit. See the video below, is much easier done than said.
  5. Place the shaped cavatelli to dry on a cooling rack or on a kitchen towel for about 2 hour. Don't let dry too long or you will have to cook the pasta forever.
  6. Cook the cavatelli in boiling water for 15-20 minutes. After draining dress with ragu' or a simple tomato sauce.

This entry was posted in Home-made, Pasta, Primi, Vegan, Vegetarian and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Sunday pasta: Cavatelli

1. Mary Ann says:

Can you make this type of pasta and freeze it?

2. Jane says:

I make my cavatti with ricotta cheese , egg whites and all the flour this taken they are very light

3. Chris says:

I feel the same way!!! Courageous enough to try inexpensive “experiments” on the pasta, but cavatelli is definitely one of my all-time favs. Thanks for the tips! 🙂

Wow, these look incredible. Being part pugliese this pasta really sings to me… :=)

5. Gourmantine says:

I still have to try pasta with semolina (mine is usually with flour). This is just lovely, perfect for Sunday lunch! 🙂

6. Angelica says:

ma che bontà!da leccarsi i baffi!

7. arabafelice says:

Sei davvero bravissima, che manualità!

8. Could I have a plate of that RIGHT now???

9. Paul says:

I guess I have a good recipe to try this weekend. I hope I will be able to do it right.

On another note, thanks for the recipe and the video!

10. Lorraine Not Quite Nigella says:

That looks so wonderful, especially with that delicious ragu sauce on top!

11. Daniela says:

Sono perfetti i tuoi cavatelli, complimenti. Molto invitanti preparati con quel’ottimo sugo. Un abbraccio Daniela.

12. Kim Bee says:

My goodness this is such a pretty pasta. I was going to head to bed but now I want a bowl of this first.

13. Chiara says:

bravissima, hai un’ottima manualità e quel ragù così denso deve essere il sugo ideale!

14. Peggy says:

I’ve only every made straight pastas, never any shaped ones! These are too beautiful =)

15. Ramona says:

You are amazing to make your own pasta! I know you must think it’s not that hard… but to a person like me… it’s really fantastic. I love the dish… so can I come over next Sunday? 🙂

16. your pasta looks fantastic! absolutely fantastic! yum!

This is the first time I heard this pasta type, I am learning a lot here

18. Ooh, that finished dish looks so, so good!

19. I love to make my own pasta, but have never made anything like this. And it looks so easy. I’ve got semolina flour, so I’ve got to try this! I love the video that you put together for it too! Molto bene!

20. wok with ray says:

Looking at the dish feels like I want to just reach in my monitor and grab the food. It looks so delicious and appetizing. Thank you for sharing the recipe, Pola!

21. I love making pasta but I’ve never tried this. Looks amazing in that dish!

22. Suzi says:

Oh I love that you made the pasta yourself, it seems easy and how delicious it must be, so fresh. Looks wonderful.

23. I would eat your pasta any day of the week:)) Love freshly made pasta, and you did fantastic job, Pola!

Comments are closed.