#SundayPasta: bow ties with pancetta and pea shoots

So Sunday pasta has been missing for a while. I bring it back today with bow ties. Bow ties (farfalle) are a little funky shape that kids love. They are also pretty flexible and can be eaten with a lot of sauces, but they go best with “piece-y” sauces so they are often used to make pasta salads.

I love them with peas and ham. That is one comfort dish I used to love as a kid. Here I propose a spin on this pasta. I swapped peas with pea shoots, pancetta for ham and yogurt for heavy whipping cream. The result is an adult version of my childhood favorite.

Bow ties with pancetta and pea shoots

Bow ties with pancetta and pea shoots

bow ties
  • 2 eggs
  • 7 oz whole wheat flour
  • pinch salt
  • sauce
  • pea shoots
  • 2 oz. pancetta
  • 2 tbsp greek yogurt

bow ties
  1. Place the flour on a table and create a large well in the middle of the whole wheat flour. Crack the egg in the well, add salt and quickly mix in the flour. The dough will rapidly come together in a smooth and relatively tough mass. Knead the dough until all the flour has been incorporated, adding a bit of salt if needed and the dough looks smooth. Place the dough under a bowl for 10 minutes or so to rest so that the gluten can relax.
  2. While the dough is resting set up your work station. Place a large wooden board on the table, get a table knife and get a couple of cookies cooling rack that you will use for drying the pasta. If you don't have the cooling racks, you can use a couple of kitchen towels.
  3. Roll out the dough thinly. You can use a rolling pin or a pasta machine and you should end up with an almost transparent sheet of pasta.
  4. With a knife cut the dough in rectangles (about 1x2 in). Pinch each rectangle in the middle to get a bow tie.
  5. Place on the racks to dry.
  6. Cook the pasta in a lot of salted boiling water. It will cook very quickly (~90 seconds) so wait to cook until the sauce is almost ready.
  7. Sauce
  8. Dice the pancetta and place in a pan. Turn on the heat and let the pancetta render its fat. When the fat is well rendered drain some of the fat.
  9. Add the pea shoots and the yogurt, mix well and quickly turn off the fire.
  10. Cook the pasta, drain it and dress it with the sauce.
  11. Serve hot and enjoy your homemade bow ties.

This entry was posted in Almost vegetarian, Home-made, Pasta, Primi and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to #SundayPasta: bow ties with pancetta and pea shoots

1. I love making my own pasta but I’ve never made bows. You make it look so easy! I’d love this dish today.

2. I love bow ties also, how fun to make them yourself! You are an inspiration to me! This combination with peas and pancetta sounds delightful!

3. Kat says:

I love homemade pasta and you make it look so easy! The only thing better than homemade pasta is one made with whole wheat. Thanks for the how-to!

4. alida says:

Sei veramente brava. I love this homemade pasta. There is so much passion in what you do and it transpires through your writing and photographs. Keep it up! Ciao.

5. Love the simple flavours here and that you swapped this for that to make something totally new to me! I am going to try and grow some pea shoots for spring here and give this a whirl!

6. Paula says:

I never thought to make my own Farfalle. Doh! You’ve inspired me – thanks for sharing this recipe.
    I hope you are enjoying the Midwest. I’m sure you miss home, but we are happy to have you here. :-)

7. Ramona says:

You are a pasta making machine!! These looks fantastic. :)

8. love2dine says:

This looks delicious!!

9. Love this! How simple, nutritious and fun! We’re going to feature this on our Facebook page and link here so people can see your recipe and photos. If you wish, come LIKE us on Facebook for more recipes and tips on superfood Asian green vegetables like baby bok choy, gai lan (Chinese broccoli), dau miu (pea shoots), yu choy and gai choy. https://www.facebook.com/Jade.Asian.Greens

–Your friendly Southern California farmers at Jade Asian Greens

10. Dara says:

Love this recipe! I am so impressed you made your own bow ties. They are so cute.

11. Isn’t it great how one simple pinch makes such a cute pasta shape! :D

12. I always love how you make pasta from scratch, and you do it so easily! What a delicious homemade pasta with pancetta and pea shoots! I never used greek yogurt for pasta. Hm, I need to give it a try!

13. Daniela says:

Adoro la pasta e questo csugo con i germogli di piselli mi attira moltissimo. Un abbraccio, buona giornata Daniela.

14. Ciao cara!!Ma tu fai anche le farfalle!che brava che sei!e poi i germogli dei piselli non sai quanto mi incuriosiscono!Mi metterò alla ricerca ;-)

Beh non e’ che sia una cosa che faccio tutti i giorni… Diciamo una volta al mese mi metto e faccio la pasta. Anche per non deludere gli americani che pensano che noi Italiani stiamo sempre in cucina a fare la pasta e la passata di pomodoro…

15. Mila says:

Buone queste farfalle! Per me la pancetta adesso è off limits, ma come me la mangerei volentieri!

Farfalle really are fun. And I think people will be surprised at how easy they are to make!