#WorldOnAPlate: Lunch box Italian style

And we get to another month of World on a Plate. For those of you who still don’t know, World on a Plate is a monthly blogging event at which bloggers from around the world get together and share a typical recipe from their home country. Today, we are sharing lunchboxes for the beginning of the school year.

In Italy lunch boxes are not as popular as they are over here, so it was quite challenging for me to come up with a recipe that would exemplify Italian lunch boxes. But then I thought I could give you an idea of what would go in a lunch box with a mix of stories and a roundup of recipes.

In Italy microwaves and refrigerators in offices are not nearly as common as on this side of the pond, hence lunch boxes have to pack food that is good cold and is not going to spoil easily. And of course it should be easy and fast to throw together in the morning. An easy choice for a complete meal that respects this characteristics is salad. All sorts of salads: regular salads, pasta salads, rice salads, grain salads. You name it.

Another easy thing to bring along is quiche. It can be prepared ahead, you can wrap it in aluminum foil and bring it with you, and you can make it with anything you have in the fridge.

Here an idea of what I actually packed for lunch in the last year or so:

Bento ideas

Freekeh salad

Pasta with carrots and their tops

Pumpkin salad

Quiches

Rice salad

Rye berry salad

Simple spicy pasta

Tabouleh

As you can see, the tell tell sign of it being a lunch box is that it is in a plastic Tupperware like container.

And now check out what lunch boxes look like around the world.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to #WorldOnAPlate: Lunch box Italian style

1. Nice round-up of lunch ideas!

2. Sabrina says:

Really really lovely… meet me on my blog!

3. Great round-up of lunch ideas!

4. Gio says:

ma che bella idea fare un Italian Bento! :)

5. tigerfish says:

Lunch box not only is limited to plastic containers, it reminded me of tiffin carriers (stainless steel containers) too!

6. Katerina says:

These are so cool ideas for lunch boxes Pola! I love pasta and I love quiche too!

7. Ramona says:

Pasta is a perfect lunch anytime! Looks great. :)

8. Alida says:

questa mi piace. Faccio spesso una lunchbox per mia figlia ma..nel thermos! Ancora non riesco a concepire un pranzo non caldo almeno per un bambino. Questa quiche pero’ e’ una meraviglia e di sicuro e’ un pranzo molto nutriente!

9. You know I never really thought about what Italian people had for lunch! Do they usually go out to eat it? :) I make my husband lunch every day and I really enjoy it :)

Well kids usually go back home because school is only half a day and companies usually provide employees with a canteen or with tickets for lunch so people eat at the canteen or go out to bars to have a salad or a sandwich. The result is not too many lunch boxes!