#CookedInTranslation: green beans sformato

Today is cooked in translation day and as usual I am posting late… Sorry! It is just a crazy time! But I have good news!! I am not ready to disclose them yet, but let just say the last few days I have been busy for a good reason and my fishing trip might have come to an end. And I am thrilled about it too!

Anyway, back to the recipes and to cooked in translation. This month we could not avoid dedicating this cooked in translation appointment to Thanksgiving. And as in our best tradition we are fusionizing it. I choose to fusionize green bean casserole and I ended up with a great sformato. But check out what my other blogger companions fusionized and get inspiered!

And what is your wackiest thanksgiving recipe? Link up and let us know!

Green beans sformato

Green beans sformato

• 2 large potatoes
  • 3/4 lb green beans
  • 3/4 lb ricotta
  • 1 onion
  • 2 eggs
  • milk as needed
  • pepper
  • olive oil
  • butter
  • bread crumbs
  • parmesan
  • basil

1. Boil the potatoes and mash them using a potato ricer.
  2. Boil the green beans for 10 minutes and then chop them.
  3. Sweat the diced onion in a bit of olive oil and when it is soft add the chopped green beans and sautee them.
  4. Mix the mashed potatoes, the green beans and onion, the ricotta, and the eggs. If the mixture is too liquid add breadcrumbs, if it is to stiff add milk. You should get the consistency of mashed potatoes.
  5. Season to taste with salt and pepper and pour in a buttered oven dish.
  6. Cover with breadcrumbs and grated parmesan and cooked in a 375F oven for about 30 minutes.
  7. Serve cold.

This entry was posted in Eggs, cheese and vegeterian, Entrée, Side Dish, Vegetarian and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to #CookedInTranslation: green beans sformato

1. This looks beautiful Even though we don’t celebrate Thanksgiving here in Australia I would totally make this any time of the year!

2. Ohhhhh! Now you make me curious and wonder what’s the great news is about! :D Beautiful and delicious dish, Pola!

3. Tiffany says:

What a tease! I’m dying to know your good news!!!!!!!!!!!

4. I think your fusion dish sounds wonderful.

5. Daniela says:

This looks amazing, real comfort food!

6. What comfort in this dish! And I can’t wait to read about your news too Pola! :D

7. Magda says:

I love fusion dishes and this looks amazing! I hope you have had a nice Thanksgiving!

8. this is an amzing recipe and it reminds me of a classic of Ligurian cuisine. I will make it supersoon, maybe even this week. ciao!!

9. This looks lovely—a great idea for a holiday side dish! This is the second time in recent days I’ve seen a recipe for making sformato with ricotta rather than béchamel. I’ve never tried it that way but it sounds *very* nice and certainly labor-saving. Will have to try it!

Looking forward to your mystery news…

10. Kat says:

I am saving this recipe as we approach colder months. Sounds perfect to have for dinner on any night, not just Thanksgiving!

11. Stacy says:

I’ve bookmarked this to make when my girls get home. I know it’s meant to be a side dish but they are both vegetarian and I would make this the center of our meal, perhaps with a side salad. It’s so beautiful!

12. Soni says:

Such a lovely recipe this is and so easy to make!!Love the Parmesan breadcrumb topping too :)

13. LinsFood says:

Wow, this one is definitely a winner! Absolutely love the breadcrumbs and parmesan topping!