#CookedInTranslation: balsamic vinegar chicken wings

And is again time to play with Cooked in Translation and this month we are fusioning an American classic: chicken wings.

As soon as Lin proposed chicken wings as this month’s theme for Cooked in Translation, I decided I had to use balsamic vinegar in the glaze. It just seemed the right ingredient to “Italinize” this dish. Plus I had tried some balsamic vinegar chicken wings a while ago and I loved the idea. Unfortunately those chicken wings were not very vinegary, nor very good. So I figured this was the perfect occasion to create some good balsamic vinegar chicken wings.

Balsamic Vinegar chicken wings

Turns out I did it! I made some pretty rocking chicken wings if I may say so myself. They are sticky and sweet and pungent and vinegary and even have a smoky aftertaste thanks to the the sugars caramelizing. My mom was very skeptical, but she ended up loving them, so give them a try!

And don’t forget to link up your fusion version of this classic at the bottom of this post!

#CookedInTranslation: balsamic vinegar chicken wings

• 6 chicken wings
  • 1 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 1 tsp corn starch
  • 1 tbsp sugar

1. Divide the chicken wings into thirds by cutting through the joints.
  2. Bake the wings in the oven at 400F until well crisped (about 20 minutes). The wings will be crispier if you arrange them on a rake that allows the fat to drain.
  3. While the wings are cooking, mix the vinegar with the corn starch and the sugar in a pot and cook until the vinegar reduces to a syrupy consistency.
  4. Toss the cooked wings with enough sauce to lightly coat them (about half the sauce) and salt to taste.
  5. serve the wings with the rest of the sauce

This entry was posted in Appetizer, Chicken and Rabbit, Entrée, Snacks and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to #CookedInTranslation: balsamic vinegar chicken wings

1. Paula says:

These look delicious – can’t wait to try them. Thanks for sharing your recipe!

I’ve always had a weakness for chicken wings and these looks fantastic.

3. liz says:

love the short ingredient list on these & the idea of caramelization + balsamic vinegar all happening together on chicken wings!

4. I am so sorry I missed this Cooked in translation, especially after you mentioned it in person to me. The flu has hit the family, and with everyone taking their turn (except me so far) I have barely been cooking enough for my blog. I am however a huge chicken wing fan and can’t wait to try your recipe!!!

5. Kat says:

I love wings. I’ve never tried them with balsamic vinegar – sounds like a great idea!

6. Chiara says:

E’ proprio deliziosa questa ricetta Pola, complimenti ! passa un felice weekend!

7. Stacy says:

One of my chief complaints about Buffalo wings is sometimes they are too sharply vinegary so I think your use of balsamic is completely INSPIRED! I love, love, love these, Paola!

8. I adore balsamic vinegar and can only imagine the deliciousness it creates in these wings. Yum!

9. This looks great!! I would love to try these wings. :)

10. wok with ray says:

I love chicken wings and I think using balsamic vinegar really works well. Looks delicious!

11. Oh my! I feel as though this post was calling to me as I adore chicken wings! :D

12. We love chicken wings! This recipe sounds very easy, especially you can prep the sauce while baking the chicken. I love balsamic vinegar. Must be delicious!!

13. Suzie says:

Your wings sound fantastic. I love balsamic. I have a slight addiction to it…lol!! Veronica sent me this way and I’m glad she did!!

14. Veronica says:

Sticky and sweet and pungent and vinegary sounds like a winner to me! I went ahead and linked up (saw your post on the SRC facebook page) but don’t know if I did it right. Let me know if I messed up!

15. The sauce sounds delicious, Paola!

16. Elena says:

Favoloso!!!!!! Scusa la mia assenza ma non riuscivo più a trovare il blog mannaggia, con 1500 blog memorizzati ho fatto un po di confusione! Splendido questo pollo è da leccarsi le dita! Baci

17. Soni says:

Ooh love Balsamic Vinegar and these look so so delicious!!Would love to try it for sure :)

18. LinsFood says:

Wow, 5 ingredients?! I have to try this and they do sound amazingly scrumptious!