SRC: beet and carrot jam

And it is time for my second Secret recipe club posting. This time I was assigned to Easily Good Eats. I didn’t know this blog before but I love its philosophy: simple recipes with few ingredients that can be found in your pantry. A number of recipes intrigued me (and here you can see the finalists), but the recipes I keep going back to were the ones on savory jams. I was really intrigued by carrot jam and beet jam: I could imagine serving them with a good cheese board, possibly including some good, salty goat cheese. And when that thought entered my mind, there was no going back. I had to make it. And I had to serve them with something like these crackers (and the above mentioned cheese of course).

Beet and Carrot Jam

So for the jams, I pretty much only weighted out the ingredients instead of measuring them by cups and let the vegetables macerate with the sugar for a while before cooking them. Pre-maceration is something my mom does for all her jams and it cuts down cooking time quite a bit (which is great). Oh and I changed the flavoring of the carrot jam from lemon to ginger. Both jam turned out great and work well with cheese. Particularly very salty cheeses like goat cheese.

And then I tried the crackers, but I added twice the water….. not my best idea. They ended up sticking to the cookie sheet like crazy…. They tasted great, but it was really a pain to get them off the sheet. Next time I will follow the original recipe!!

Carrot jam

• 1/2 lb carrots cleaned and diced
  • 1/2 lb sugar
  • 1 tsp grated ginger

1. Mix the carrots with the sugar and the ginger and let sit to macerate for a couple of hours or overnight.
  2. Cook the carrots with all the syrup in which they are macerating and a couple of spoons of water for 20 minutes or until the jam coats a spoon.
  3. Puree if you like a smoother texture.
  4. Place in a jar and serve with cheese and crackers.

Beet jam

• 1/2 lb beet cleaned and diced
  • 1/4 lb sugar

1. Mix the beet and the sugar and let it macerate for a couple of hours or overnight.
  2. Cook the beet with all their syrup for 20 minutes or until the beets are soft and the jam coats the back of a spoon.
  3. Put in a jar and serve with cheese and crackers.

And don’t miss what everyone else did!

This entry was posted in Appetizer, Home-made, Jam, Vegan, Vegetarian and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to SRC: beet and carrot jam

1. Ksenia says:

Woow!
    It’s amazing the beet jam! I’ve never had idea to cook it.
    Thank you, Pola!

2. Thanks for sharing. I have never had beet or carrot jam before, but I am now looking forward to it!

3. wow! these are really interesting. I am particularly curious about the carrot ginger one. will give it a try soon. ciao

4. Jenna says:

These jams paired with goat cheese have my mouth watering. This all sounds so delicious together. Great SCR choice!

5. these are so creative! i would never have thought of beets and carrots in jam, it is so intriguing!

6. Margaret says:

Who knew?? These look tasty.

7. Soni says:

Ooh love the idea of jam with crackers! Carrot and Beet jam sound so so good and so super easy!

8. I love, love, love the idea of jams to eat with cheese. My friend made a great green tomato jam for me recently and since then I have been wanting to make some too. I am very intrigued by your carrot and ginger jam and also love beets and am always looking for ways to get my family to eat them so I want to try that too. Also I think the earthiness of beets would pair great with goat cheese. Do you buy the beets raw or did you use the oven roasted ones you can buy prepackaged? Believe it or not I have never really made jam (except for onion jam).

I used a raw one. Not sure what should happen if you we’re to use a cooked one…. Green tomatoes sounds delicious! Btw making jam is rather easy: if you are worried about processing and storing, just keep the jam in the fridge and you will have no issues.

9. These jams sound wonderful! Love that you decided to pair the carrots with ginger, one of my favorite flavor combinations. Lovely!

10. this jam looks great and awesome flavor combo- yay for src :)

11. bellini says:

Carrots and beets are naturally sweet so I would think would make fantastic jams.

12. What interesting recipes! I would love to give these a taste. They are such beautiful colors! Great choice for this month’s SRC.

13. I’ve made carrot jam before but not beet jam. These recipes lend themselves to so many variations. What a great choice to make! Thanks for sharing :)

14. SeattleDee says:

Savory vegetable jams sound delicious, look gorgeous, and seem simple to make. What an unbeatable combination. Great SRC choice.

15. These sound really intriguing! In my family, we make jam with tomatoes and pumpkin, so I can totally see how other sweet vegetables like carrots and beets would make a mighty fine jam, too. I’m totally loving that combo of carrot and ginger… definitely going on my must-try list for my annual summertime jam-making binge.

16. LeAndra says:

Awesome recipes! On a recent trip to the library, I picked up a cookbook filled only with Jam recipes. It’s something I’ve wanted to try making for quite awhile, and these are great additions. I’ve never been a fan of beets, so I hope this jam may finally change my ways. If not, there’s always the carrot.

17. Lisa~~ says:

I’ve never thought of nor tired carrot or beet jam but you’ve sure piqued my interest in them and carrot with ginger is one of my favorite combinations. Great SRC picks.

Thanks for checking out and leaving a comment on my SRC entry Loaded Potato Soup, much appreciated.

Lisa~~

18. I love the idea of adding beets to it! I’ve had carrot jam and it’s so delicious but adding beets is brilliant :D

19. Mmm… I love the idea of vegetable jams. :) They look great. :)

20. Oh very intrigued by these veggie sweet jams. I have had similar in Indian and Persian restaurants. Got to give these a try.

21. Katrina says:

Sounds yummy. I never thought about or knew there was jam with carrots or beets–loive both.

22. wow, what a great idea! I would never think about making jam from beets and carrots, but then there are beet and carrot cakes, and they are delish, why not jams? Great pick for SRC!

23. This looks familiar!!! I am glad you liked them, and sorry to hear the cookies did not turn out as expected.

I am sure if I had not deviated from your recipe they would have been great… And they did tast great, they were just very hard to get off the cookie sheet!

24. I have some beets that are begging to be turned into this. Wow. Delicious. Thanks for the inspiration. I just made bacon jam for the first time. Now, I’ll make some with beets and carrots.

25. Wow vegetable jams! I have never got to taste vegetable jams and I’m so curious! I like that you added ginger in carrot. Great combination. Beet root is my favorite but this is my first time seeing the jam version! :D