Chocolate and coconut oil cake
This recipe is the result of fixating on having to try to bake with coconut oil. I looked around for a recipe that would satisfy me, but I have found none. So I adapted my basic olive oil cake recipe to accommodate coconut oil and it turned out pretty well.
The cake stays very moist and it has a distinct coconut flavor. I kept hearing coconut oil doesn’t really taste like coconut and I was wondering how could that be. Turns out the coconut flavors comes through quite a bit in a cake. I haven’t tried the oil for any other use, but I assume it will keep some of that flavor.
Anyway, I loved the cake and its coconutty flavor. And I loved the moistness so much I baked it again shortly after the first time. It didn’t disappoint.
My first attempt at using coconut oil: chocolate and coconut oil cake
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 oz chocolate
- 2 oz sugar
- 3 oz flour
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Put the coconut oil and the chocolate in microwavable container and microwave until the chocolate is completely melted.
- Beat the egg with the sugar until the sugar is well incorporated and the egg is fluffy and almost stiff.
- Add the chocolate and coconut oil mixture and beat until well incorporated.
- Add the flour, baking powder and enough milk to make the mixture semi-fluid.
- Pour in a 5 inches greased pan and bake in a 375F oven, about 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
This entry was posted in Cake
and tagged breakfast
, coconut oil
. Bookmark the permalink