#SRC: simit

And it is time once again for the secret recipe club. This time I was assigned to Evelyne’s blog: Cheap Ethnic Eatz. She has a pretty neat concept: she pulishes easy recipe from around the world so that all of us can introduce some variety in our menus.

I peeked around her website and I saw plenty of nice recipe, and she is part of so many great groups and culinary challenges that there is hardly a scarcity of creative recipes! But then I saw this recipe for Simit and I knew that is what I wanted to make. They looked so delicious! And I am going to Turkey this summer, so they really were calling my name!

Breakfast today: simit

Oh and I have an important announcement to make: I finally did it! I defended my PhD and from now on you can all me Dr.!

97 pages, 30 slides and 55 minutes to conclude 6 years of work and make me a PhD! #endofanera

Also,

Spring might have finally come to the Midwest!

Little spring surprises... Flowers on my sage!

Anyway, back to cooking… The Simits were easy to make and delicious to eat. Super crumbly and very light. Just my knd of pastry. Not sweet at all, but perfect for breakfast or a quick snack. I am trying to resist the temptation to snatch another one….

Simit

Yield: 10 rings

• 3 cups flour
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup yoghurt
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 1/2 cup butter at room temperature
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 2 tbsp vinegar
  • sesame and/or poppy seeds

1. Mix all of the ingredients until the dough is smooth.
  2. Divide into 20 small balls. Roll out the balls into thin logs and twist them together two by two. Form in to rings and dip the rings in the poppy or sesame seeds.
  3. Bake at 400F until golden brown.

Notes

Slightly adapted from Cheap Ethnic Eatz

And don’t forget to chak the other recipes out!

This entry was posted in Cookies, Dessert, Home-made, Vegetarian and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to #SRC: simit

1. tanya1234 says:

luv it thankx alot

2. Pingback: Celebration and a simple pasta with zucchini and chili garlic oil | An Italian cooking in the Midwest

3. Gitte says:

Congratulations on your PhD Dr. Pola, it’s a huge accomplishment! And your Simit looks delicious. Love that there is yogurt in them.

4. Margaret says:

FIRST: Big congrats on becoming Dr. Pola. NOT easy to accomplish that task!!

SECOND: Simit look perfect. I will have to try those.

5. Stacy says:

Congratulations, Paola! That is a wonderful accomplishment. Also the doctorate is great. Just kidding! The simits look delicious but I am in awe of the work it took for you to write and defend your dissertation. We will all call you Dr. Paola from now on!

6. Katrina says:

Those look awesome. Great pick.
    My husband is a PhD, so we’ve been down that LONG road. Congrats to you!

7. I have never heard of simit before, but it sounds really yummy and yours are beautiful. Congrats on getting your doctorate. That’s awesome!

8. Congrats on defending your PhD! These look fantastic and while I never heard of a Simit before, you can bet I’m going to try to make these soon – yum!

9. congrats on your defense!! what a fun recipe :)

10. Congratulations on a gorgeous recipe, and on your PhD :-)

11. I studied the recipe and was so surprised. I thought this would be a yeast recipe not a quick bread. Now I’m really intrigued and want to make these. Firstly, they are so beautiful looking. Great SRC.

12. Congratulations, Doc! These look amazing. I will definitely give them a try soon. Thanks for sharing with the SRC.

13. I’m very intrigued by the use of yogurt in this recipe, and by the fact that it’s leavened with baking powder… I think this just might be the solution to dealing with a bagel craving when I don’t have the time or energy to wrestle with a yeast dough. Love it!
    PS: Congrats, Doctor! That’s a HUGE achievement. :)

It is a very different texture than a bagel: much more crumbly. But it would satisfy the craving for something starch and not sweet. Also, probably by playing with the ratio and upping the liquid vs fat ratio you should be able to get something softer…

14. katie says:

These are so beautiful, what a great photo!
    Pinning these to make soon :)

15. Jess says:

BIG Congrats! I’ve loved following your blog through this process. You make me miss my Midwestern roots. What’s up for you next?! Basking in the glow of your achievement? Caribbean cruise??

16. CONGRATS!!!! What a great accomplishment!

17. Well congrats first in the Dr front, awesome. And I love you bold choice in recipe and really trying something different! The simit rings look gorgeus!

18. Brava Pola!!!! Allora avevo captato bene, non ne ero certa! Love the look of these pastries.

19. Trisha says:

Congratulations on your PhD. The pastry looks divine! Have a good trip to Turkey!

20. Chiara says:

complimenti di cuore dottoressa ! sono veramente felice per te, ti abbraccio forte !
    festeggiamo con quelle deliziose ciambelline ?

21. Congratulations on your PhD :) it must be a great feeling to finish such a huge accomplishment
    I love simit but have never tried making it at home. Bookmarked to try soon

22. Yay! Congratulations! These look just wonderful. Love that your little garden is starting to grow too.

23. sara says:

CONGRATS on defending your PhD! That’s awesome. :)
    And, these simit look amazing – what a cool braided pattern…so pretty.

24. Way to go Dr.!!! I totally thought about making those simit when I was assigned to Cheap Ethnic Eatz last month. They look fantastic.

These look delicious and really pretty!! :-)
    Congratulazioni per il PhD, dottoressa!!! ;-) Great job!