#SRC: pao de queijo

For this month Secret Recipe Club I was assigned to Crumb the blog of Isabelle. I was thrilled when I got my assignment because in my opinion Isabelle is one of the great foodblogger out there. She always has great recipes and awesome pictures that make you want to dive right into the dish. Plus I love her writing style: she has a fun way of telling about her life and her posts just draw you in. If you are not familiar with her blog you should definitely check it out!

Anyway faced with the arduos choice of choosing a recipe among her many delicious ones, I started looking upon her index. I was reading the titles when I run into Pao de Queijo. And my heart stopped. Could it be? I had just bought tapioca flour because I wanted to make some. They had been on my mind for days, maybe weeks. It was destiny calling.

Pao de quejo

So I made Pao de Queijo. I actually ended up making two batches. Well actually three, if you count the batch that is in the freezer waiting to be baked and enjoyed with the right recipe.

pao de qujo - trial and error

When making my first batch I obviously did something wrong and the little balls turned out a little flat, but still delicious.

I believe that I made two mistakes: 1) my math was wrong an I had to little flour, 2) I took too long to add the flour to the hot liquid and the liquid was not hot enough when I added the flour so the proper reaction did not happen. So make sure to keep the doses right and to add the flour when the liquid is still very hot. Actually I would turn the fire off only after you add the flour.

Pao de Queijo

Yield: 12 rolls

• 1 egg
  • 5 oz. tapioca flour
  • 1/8 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup water
  • pinch of salt
  • 2 ox. grated cheddar

1. Bring the water, milk and oil to a boil and add to it the flour and the salt. Mix well and turn off the heat.
  2. Transfer to a mixer and let cool down a bit.
  3. Add the egg and the cheese and mix until well incorporated (it takes a while).
  4. Form into small balls and bake the ones you are going to eat soon in a 400F oven for 20 minutes or until puffed and golden brown.
  5. Freeze the remaining uncooked balls for later use. When ready to enjoy just bake them frozen in the oven about 10 minutes longer than the fresh ones.
  6. Enjoy!

Notes

adapted from Crumb

This entry was posted in Appetizer, Bread, Snacks, Vegetarian and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to #SRC: pao de queijo

1. I’m glad that the second batch worked out for you. They can be challenging to make, but once you get the recipe right they are amazing! I always keep a batch of frozen pĂŁo de queijo in my freezer!!!!

2. Jenna says:

I love going through the recipes because I hear of new ideas all the time. I’ve never heard of these or seen tapioca flour, I might have to look for some the next time I go to the grocery store. Great SRC pick!

3. This is a new dish to me… but the ingredients sounds yummy. I like that you attempted them twice to get success. 🙂 Never quit… great attitude. 🙂

Funny you should mention: that is what one of my advisors said in a recommendation. i apparently never give up!

4. I had not heard of these before either, but they look so yummy!

5. Stephanie says:

I’ve been wanting to make these for years, but hadn’t quite found the motivation. Thanks for presenting the tips on how to make them work well.

6. Trisha says:

These are new to me, but I must say they look lovely.

7. Anna says:

I have never heard of this, but it looks really good. I love that you tried again right away to get it right. That’s definitely something I would do!

8. Your second batch look ah-mah-ZING! I’m kind of tempted to run home tonight and make a batch of my own, because it’s been ages since I last made pao de queijo.

I’m so glad you stuck it out after batch #1 fell flat (literally!)… the dough is a little bit tricky sometimes, and it definitely takes a few tries to get a feel for how it needs to look and feel. And at least the flat ones are still edible, so it’s not a total loss. 🙂

(True confession: I often resort to making pao de queijo from mix if I’m feeling lazy. It’s not as good as made from scratch, but it sure hits the spot!)

I had the experience with regular cheese puffs and I could immediately tell I did something wrong when I added the flour, but it was to late to change. So I immediately started on the second batch. I am very glad I did!

9. I’ve never heard of these before and they look sooooo yummy!

10. Leigh says:

Great choice and they look amazing! 🙂

11. I really want to make these one day! They sound so delicious especially when freshly baked! 😀

12. One of my best friends is Brazilian and I am a true fan of Pao de Queijo… which may have made me lazy because I always eat it at his house and have never tried to make it on my own. You are however tempting me to try…

13. sara says:

Fun! These look really unique and delicious! 🙂

14. Lisa~~ says:

I adore these but have never attempted to make them fearing that mine would always come out looking like your batch #1. Great pic and job in making them. If you haven’t already, I’d love for you to check out my SRC entry Paradise Mango Curried Shrimp.

Lisa~~

15. I’ve always wanted to try this recipe. YUM!

16. I love Isabelle’s blog, too! And it was so great of you to try it twice. Now I have to locate some tapioca flour…

17. Oh my gosh! I absolutely love, love, love pao de queijo. I lived in Brazil for a while and became addicted to it while I was there. Those look awesome!

Comments are closed.