Apple and rolled grains cake
Today is sweet time. But is a pretty healthy sweet made of wholesome grains and a lot of fruit. A perfect way to start your mornings.
This cake has rolled grains, 10 grains “grits”, apples, raisins and walnuts. All . To top it off, there is no eggs, very little sugar and no butter or oil. Yet it tastes great!
Now on the tweaks: I added quite a lot of apples for the cake. I love it, but it makes the cake a bit crumbly. If you want a firmer slice, you should consider adding less apples.
Also, I added very little sugar and used tart apples. If you like your sweets on the sweeter side, feel free to up the sugar or change the apples to a sweeter variety.
Whatever you do, enjoy this cake: it is almost guilt free!
- 3 oz. flour
- 3 oz. 10 grains hot cereal
- 3. oz rolled grains (or rolled oats)
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup yogurt
- 1-2 oz sugar (according to taste)
- 2 granny smith apples
- 1 pink lady apple
- 1/4 cup rasin
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Mix the warm water with the hot cereal, the rolled grains, and the raisin. Let stand for 15 minutes or so.
- Meanwhile, dice the apples and toss them in flour and chop the walnuts to coarse.
- Mix the yogurt, the flour, the sugar, the walnuts and the apples with the oats mixture.
- Pour in a loaf pan lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 350F for one hour or until dried out.
- Eat cold.
- You can slice the leftovers and freeze them. When you want to eat the cake, just toast them in the oven.